HDMI down and Out

droidborg

Reaction score
My internet was down yesterday so I thought I would buy and HDMI cable so I could watch Netflix on my monitor with my DX. Too bad the people at Motorola and Verizon don't seem to have a clue about their products because as many of you may know this is not possible, but the techs or sales people failed to ever mention this when I asked about it prior to purchase. To make matters worse my HDMI port was not transmitting data at all, so after hours back and forth with Motorola and Verizon tech on the phone and 2 trips to the Verizon store I reformatted my phone and spent a few hours getting apps and preferences set up. Thanks again to the clueless techs at both. I got the port working and my phone seems to turn off ok now too, but of course still no go with Netflix. I've read some about X ternal Display and Real HDMI but they seem to both be pretty hit or miss and limited. One guy said you could somehow set up Real to only turn on when the DX screen is facing down so that if you need to access the controls you can pick up the phone and do so. For those who don't know the DX can not support both screens at once. Several others have said it doesn't work at all. So what is the general consensus about Xternal and Real? Does the on only when screen is down setting work? Do either apps actually still work period? Are there any alternatives? Not that I'm going to get one !!for like $550!! without a scheduled contract renewal but I have also heard that the new DX2 does not have this issue. Yes/no?

travisn000

Reaction score
Many applications, including Netflix, are written to detect the use of an HDMI port and specifically block streaming of content to the port... even apps like real hdmi can't fix this.

the app "REAL HDMI" in the market has a more thorough explanation in its description, but essentially it comes down to the content providers wanting complete control of how / when you watch their media.

Last edited:
OP
droidborg

droidborg

Reaction score
Well this is really cryptic. I just called Netflix and they verified that this is true. Apple has some deal to allow HDMI phone or tablet to monitor streaming, which is not surprising considering all the Apple placement in movies. However, on another DX forum someone responded that they have been watching Netflix movies with Xternal Display for 2 weeks via their DX and their bigscreen. And on another post someone said they have no problem doing so with their DX2. So Wtf? I have also heard that some HDMI cables can work around this. So maybe they have the right mystery cable. Anybody else know anything about this. Sure would be nice if it could work.

Last edited: