HDMI dongle universal

uma

Reaction score
Which "kit" or dongle do I buy in order to be able to hook my phone (LG SPECTRUM) to the tv monitor? (how do I hook up my phone to my tv monitor?)

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
Thank you Thank you!!

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
oh wait. I still need some kind of cable thingie to attach it to?
"This MHL to HDMI adapter incorporates Mobile High-Definition Link version 1.0 technology. The adapter easily connects to the USB 2.0 Micro-B port of a MHL enabled device. Use your HDMI cable to connect the MHL to HDMI adapter to an HDTV or an HDMI home theater system."

liteon163

Reaction score
Yeah, you still need to buy an HDMI cable. Monoprice has good deals on MHL adapters and HDMI cables.

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
Got it! Thanks!!!

ooops, not so got it. :(
I am confused on which "cable" thingie to get so I can plug the adapter thingie in to it. When I go to Amazon, they list a thousand different cables, each with a variance...

help...

liteon163

Reaction score
Go to monoprice.com. Look up "MHL adapter." Put one in your cart.

Now look up HDMI cables. Find the length and color you want and put a ferrite core cable in your cart.

Buy. Should be less than $20, shipped.

Sorry for being such a smart@$$, but it really is just like that. It's exactly how I did it and it works incredibly.

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
But, but, but... it's not that easy! Not for techno challenged like me.

I chose an adapter. I scrolled the page. It says good for LG Spectrum. Yay!
I scroll the page further, and it says:
Note: Monoprice strongly recommends the use of minimum 24 AWG HDMI® cables when connecting a device, such as this adapter, between the source and destination devices to ensure minimal signal loss and maximum High Speed signal reliability.

So
Soooo, I search for the 24 awg hdmi cable and a list comes up... and I chose 10' but there's no color. Color would be nice, to grab in an instant from the tangled wires around the tv/vcr/speakers...

S
ooo, I come back to your helpful post (which probably is really easy for most people) and highlight/copy "ferrite core cable" and it brings up a page of chaotic choices once again.

Can you/someone have mercy and give me a direct link to each so I can just purchase the exact things I need? With color hopefully. (blue, red, purple, green, I don't care)

thanks!

liteon163

Reaction score
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10833&cs_id=1083314&p_id=8805&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3961&seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=4027&seq=1&format=2

Personally, I wouldn't care about 24 vs 28 AWG cables. I use 28 and it's fine. And it's $5 cheaper.

Hope this helps, my technically challenged friend. When you receive these items (I have faith in you), report back so I can give you a few more tips. :)

p.s. Sorry about the raw links. I'm on my phone and did it the easiest way.

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
:hail: I think I love you!! :hail:
That red one will be sweet to identify quickly in my tangled mess...

More for me?? Whatcha got???? Let's start now, so I'll have it figured out by the end of next week. :biggrin:

can't wait!

:: off to purchase the cable thingies::

hmmm, for some reason, my notifications of new posts and threads for the LG forum aren't coming in. :( (yes, it's "every day" selected).

liteon163

Reaction score
Before you set it all up, make sure you have a micro USB charging cable plugged into the MHL adapter. This powers the adapter and charges the phone at the same time.

Next, make sure you have your TV on the correct input before you connect the phone. Then plug the MHL adapter into the phone and wait a few moments. Your Spectrum will need to figure out what's attached so that it can set up a driver.

Once that's done, the TV screen will be mirroring what's on the phone screen. When in portrait, the picture looks pretty average because it's just using the middle third of the screen. In landscape, though, the picture is excellent because it takes up the entire screen.

And since the TV mirrors the phone, your phone screen will be on ALL THE TIME when it's connected.

In my experience, when streaming video through the phone to the TV the battery may actually drain while connected. On the other hand, playing video from on-board storage means the phone will actually charge while being used.

Have fun and experiment, my friend. Glad I could help. :)

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
Sweeeet! I didn't realize the steps required, and now I'm fully aware. Thanks! I'll be back to re-read often to prepare for when the package arrives.

I mostly use android's Prime TV and Rhapsody which are both recorded onto my phone, so that's great that it'll charge while viewing/listening. This will work nicely for me, living off grid and all.

I really appreciate your help, you're a dear!

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
DancingNexusDancingNexus It's up and working, THANKS!!!! DancingNexusdancedroid

liteon163

Reaction score
I knew you could do it!

Now, do you have any questions about how to get movies off of DVDs and onto your phone? :biggrin:

OP
U

uma

Reaction score
I knew you could do it!

Now, do you have any questions about how to get movies off of DVDs and onto your phone? :biggrin:

Seriously? That'd be sweet to do! I hate when the DVD's freeze and skip, and to be able to transfer them onto the phone and watch skip free anytime anywhere would be great.

Do tell....