HD Dock or HD Station. I have a question about phone calls.

revelated

Reaction score
So both of these can do phone calls, I get it. If I do the Controller then it's like a Bluetooth handset, I get it. I could pair a Bluetooth headset to it, I get it.

What I don't get, and what nobody seems to be discussing, is how the phone handles calls WITHOUT the assistance of Bluetooth. Is it just using speaker mode, basically, but outputting audio through the TV/stereo via HDMI? If so how is it dealing with echo cancellation? I assume that the other party comes through clear, but are they hearing themselves echoed back?

And has anyone researched somehow funneling the audio and mics through a central system, like a Polycom or Simphonix system would? Ceiling/wall speakers, desktop mics, etc. but all routed through the RAZR?

Yes, my visions are ambitious :) But if I can do what I state above, I will literally trick out a spare room and do this. Only thing missing then is video calling on the big screen.

Pat353

Reaction score
HTML:
I have a very simaliar question. I am about to install the docking station in my car so I can dock my phone and mirror the image on my Infiniti navi screen. I am assuming this will output the sound of a phone call through the HDMI which will go to my car speakers but how do I go about attaching a mic to the phone? Ideally, I would like to avoid Bluetooth and output the sound thru the car and mount a permanent mic in the car.  Any ideas?

Yes, I know the HDMI out is digital and my navitv mod is analog, I have a converter :)

Gleason81

Reaction score
So both of these can do phone calls, I get it. If I do the Controller then it's like a Bluetooth handset, I get it. I could pair a Bluetooth headset to it, I get it.

What I don't get, and what nobody seems to be discussing, is how the phone handles calls WITHOUT the assistance of Bluetooth. Is it just using speaker mode, basically, but outputting audio through the TV/stereo via HDMI? If so how is it dealing with echo cancellation? I assume that the other party comes through clear, but are they hearing themselves echoed back?

And has anyone researched somehow funneling the audio and mics through a central system, like a Polycom or Simphonix system would? Ceiling/wall speakers, desktop mics, etc. but all routed through the RAZR?

Yes, my visions are ambitious :) But if I can do what I state above, I will literally trick out a spare room and do this. Only thing missing then is video calling on the big screen.

I just got the HD dock. I have it hooked up to my 42" TV in my living room. I was sitting on the couch, which is about 15 feet from the Dock (which sits next to the TV). I received an incoming call and it automatically answered in speaker-phone mode. I started talking (my living room is pretty quiet) and the person on the other end could hear me OK. I asked if it sounded like I was on speaker phone and they said it wasn't too hard to hear me, not as good as having the phone in my face (or on my ear). I don't think there is any other "built-in" functionality in the dock station itself as I personally think that Motorola phones have really good noise-cancelling abilities....but just my own opinion.

OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score
I just got the HD dock. I have it hooked up to my 42" TV in my living room. I was sitting on the couch, which is about 15 feet from the Dock (which sits next to the TV). I received an incoming call and it automatically answered in speaker-phone mode. I started talking (my living room is pretty quiet) and the person on the other end could hear me OK. I asked if it sounded like I was on speaker phone and they said it wasn't too hard to hear me, not as good as having the phone in my face (or on my ear). I don't think there is any other "built-in" functionality in the dock station itself as I personally think that Motorola phones have really good noise-cancelling abilities....but just my own opinion.

So the audio came from your TV/stereo? Or was the RAZR giving you the audio from the dock (which would be silly to me, but just curious).

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
When I get a call and mine is docked, it answers in speaker phone.....and the call is heard thru the phone.

OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score
When I get a call and mine is docked, it answers in speaker phone.....and the call is heard thru the phone.

Damnit. Is there no setting that shows up that allows you to send the audio through the dock to the TV/stereo? I mean that seems really silly. I do have a Bluetooth speaker, but then you're defeating part of the benefit of HDMI in the first place (video AND audio).

Gleason81

Reaction score
So the audio came from your TV/stereo? Or was the RAZR giving you the audio from the dock (which would be silly to me, but just curious).

The sound plays out the phones speaker during a phone call when connected to the HD dock. As I said, I was amazed on how well the mic picked up my voice from 15ft. away.

IceAngel8381

Reaction score
The sound plays out the phones speaker during a phone call when connected to the HD dock. As I said, I was amazed on how well the mic picked up my voice from 15ft. away.

I'm impressed with it as well. Most callers do not know they are on speaker either.

OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score

Well I know the phone's speakerphone by itself even without the dock is quite amazing. But in my case I'm going to be way farther than 15 feet in some cases. It'd be fine for like a desk office or something, but I have way more lofty ideas in mind. If I could do video calling with this it'd be even more amazing.

Is there a mic on the HD Dock that you can see? I wonder if it has an embedded boom mic that it uses that is even more sensitive than the phone's mic.

sk8irj1

Reaction score
When my razr is docked in my car dock, phone calls interrupt music or navigation and play through my speakers when the phone is plugged into my auxiliary port of my stereo.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

mekanism

Reaction score
I thought the HD dock was supposed to come with a remote and when a call came in you could talk through the remote. Did this not make it to market?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

mekanism

Reaction score
Nevermind, its called the smart controller which is way expensive! I thought it was included with the HD dock.

Last edited:
OP
revelated

revelated

Reaction score
I thought the HD dock was supposed to come with a remote and when a call came in you could talk through the remote. Did this not make it to market?

They decided to sell that as a separate product and make more money.