HBO Go. Terrible.

Big D

Reaction score
Played 1 movie great. Then whenever I tried again it gave me this message:

"This GO ID is playing video on another computer or device. Please stop the previous video stream or try again later... "

No matter what you do, this message will pop up. I've cleared cache, rebooted even uninstalled and still the same message.

I went to my computer and same thing. Same message.

Hook up the HDMI cable and it says "Please unplug your HDMI cable or TV out cable and try playing the video again." This happens every time.

You would think that an organization with the resources that HBO has would make sure that the app they put out didn't completely blow before they advertised the crap out of it.

Unbelievable.

Last edited:

neilrl79

Reaction score
I don't have those problems at all with hbo go, although i haven't tried the hdmi cable yet, i plan on picking one up this weekend and i'll see what happens.

DarkDreamer13

Reaction score
Played 1 movie great. Then whenever I tried again it gave me this message:

"This GO ID is playing video on another computer or device. Please stop the previous video stream or try again later... "

No matter what you do, this message will pop up. I've cleared cache, rebooted even uninstalled and still the same message.

I went to my computer and same thing. Same message.

Hook up the HDMI cable and it says "Please unplug your HDMI cable or TV out cable and try playing the video again." This happens every time.

You would think that an organization with the resources that HBO has would make sure that the app they put out didn't completely blow before they advertised the crap out of it.

Unbelievable.

My HBO Go works fine. Are you the only one who uses the HBO Go account? One time I left HBO Go paused on my computer and when I tried to use my phone I got the "playing on another device or computer" message. As soon as I shut it down on my comp, worked perfect on my phone. HBO seems a lot stricter about sharing the stream to devices than Netflix.

Sent from my Forbidden HeXenated D2G

OP
B

Big D

Reaction score
Just figured out the HDMI issue. HBO Go will NOT support connection to a TV.

militant

Reaction score
Just figured out the HDMI issue. HBO Go will NOT support connection to a TV.

REALLY? That is incredibly freakin' lame. Wow. I've used the D3 to stream Netflix on my buddies flat screen, and that worked great, was looking forward to getting him caught up on True Blood and some other series tomorrow, guess that ain't happening. Any word if you can stream it through a laptop and HDMI out onto the TV or is any transfer not allowed?

OP
B

Big D

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the laptop. But when I kept getting the "unplug your HDMI cable and try again" message, I went and looked around in the FAQ page. right there it says "Currently, an external connection from a mobile device to a TV is not supported."

So I guess the definition of "mobile device" is what determines whether a connection between a Laptop and a TV would work.

I'm amazed that they would restrict this. What possible reason would there be?

militant

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the laptop. But when I kept getting the "unplug your HDMI cable and try again" message, I went and looked around in the FAQ page. right there it says "Currently, an external connection from a mobile device to a TV is not supported."

So I guess the definition of "mobile device" is what determines whether a connection between a Laptop and a TV would work.

I'm amazed that they would restrict this. What possible reason would there be?

Exactly what I was trying to do I suppose. Allowing people to watch HBO programming who don't pay for it? Whats the difference if I invite friends over to watch it, really? As long as I'm not making people pay to watch it, I'm not breaking any rules. Really dumb if you ask me.

OP
B

Big D

Reaction score
Having problems again.

NOW, whenever I chose a movie to watch, I get the little HBO jingle, the loading circle spins and then it closes out. Back to the HBO menu.

THIS APP SUCKS!

Any ideas guys? I've cleared the cache. Nothing. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing. Made sure adobe is current. Still nothing.

DougMiddleton

Reaction score
12/21/11 HBOGO App Update Problem

Having problems again.

NOW, whenever I chose a movie to watch, I get the little HBO jingle, the loading circle spins and then it closes out. Back to the HBO menu.

THIS APP SUCKS!

Any ideas guys? I've cleared the cache. Nothing. Uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing. Made sure adobe is current. Still nothing.

I experienced the exact same problem beginning 12/22/11 after installing an app update the evening of 12/21/11, and tried the same fixes without success. Spent a lot of time on the phone with Directv tech support on 12/22-23, reaching their fourth level with no success. A Directv tech support guy gave me an email address for HBOGO's app support. He said Directv was forwarding my issue to them since Directv could not resolve it. I emailed HBOGO folks and got the response below. I've tried the ap once each day since, but still HBONOGO.

---------------------
"On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 5:20 PM, *HBO GO Mobile (HBO) <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Doug,

We apologize for the inconvenience; our technical support team is aware of the issue and is investigating it. We do not have an estimated resolution date at this time. We will contact you as soon as we receive more information or if we have additional questions.

Thank you,
The HBO GO Team"
---------------------------

DougMiddleton

Reaction score
Update 1/6/12: The HBOGO Android ap has been updated and it is working again!

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM, *HBO GO Mobile (HBO) <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Doug,
Thank you for your patience, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We just released a fix for the video playback issue you were experiencing on your device. Please update the application to the latest version available in the Android Market and let us know if you continue to experience any problems.
Thank you,
The HBO GO Team

tc1

Reaction score
Works now but still sucks.

Buffering, skipping and audio stream only.

And this is on a wireless "N" network at home with a fast connection.

So irritating since netflix plays buttery smooth.

And the hbo doesn't allow mirroring to the top from the mobile app.

Stupid since you CAN use a hdmi to connect your laptop to a tv and view it that way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

DougMiddleton

Reaction score
Yes, I also noticed slightly poorer performance than previously and am hoping next release cures that. Inability to mirror out via HDMI is not new with this release. Rumored to stem from HBO's contracts with cable and Sat companies.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums