HBO Considering Even Cheaper Options for HBO Now

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hbo-now-survey.png

We don't want to get your hopes up, but this news is worth sharing for all the cord cutters out there who love HBO. The company is apparently considering some even cheaper subscription options for their service. The have been sending out surveys to folks who stop their HBO Now service after the free trial. As you can see from the image above, this survey asks, "“If these offers were available to you for one-time only, how likely would you be to take advantage of each in the next three months?”

The options on the survey are quite tempting although the last choice is the most tempting of all... a one-year subscription for just $99.99. That possible future option would bring the price of the service down cheaper than Netflix and in line with Amazon Prime's pricing model. Obviously, this pricing model may never come to fruition, as it depends on the response that HBO receives. It's also possible that this pricing option would only become available to folks threatening to leave the service.

Still, if this option gets enough of a response, HBO could see a benefit in making it the primary pricing model. At some break-even point, a mass volume of folks on the $100 per year option would be more profitable than a much smaller volume at $15 per month. What do you guys think?

Source: CutCableToday

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Like the option but maybe cut the price by $10 each tier.

Then again if you add HBO to sling tv it will cost $15 per month ($180 per year) so maybe that may be a good price.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I got the option of HBO with Sling TV, and I have to say, it's hasn't been worth it. I am usually not watching TV when GOT comes on, and that's pretty much the only reason I got HBO in the first place. I will be glad to cancel it when the time comes.

HBO Now, for $15 a month, is the better choice. For $99 a year, it's the only choice.

BUT...since this screenshot is coming from an iPhone, perhaps that pricing model is for Apple customers only. :eek:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Usually when you get promo pricing on cable (either new service or because you threaten to leave and twist their arm), you can get 3-6 months of HBO free.

But then the price goes up to around $16 per month. But with it's great on-demand library, you really don't need it for probably more than a month to catch-up on Game of Thrones.

So I need to get into the habit of subscribing for just 1 month, or 3 since I have to see GoT as soon as it airs. I'm guessing more and more people are doing that, so if HBO can get you to commit to the plans above it will probably actually increase their revenues.