1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Having trouble with ADB shell (permission denied)...what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by r314bd, Feb 25, 2010.

1. r314bd

r314bd New Member

I rooted properly I think, used the one click update.zip and I now have the Superuser Permissions icon in my apps list. I am trying to get the wireless tether and I'm following this tutorial: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...d-wifi-tether-wireless-tether-root-users.html

I downloaded the Android Developer Kit for 2.0.1 and I can get to the ADB shell from my command prompt. I added "C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\Tools" to the PATH in the "Environmental Variables" section of My Computer properties (it's where I copied mine, saw this on a YouTube tutorial) My Droid is plugged in to my laptop and USB debugging is on.

What am I doing wrong? I can't believe I'm getting stuck on the very first step :(
  2. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

After connecting/launching adb shell did your ninja come up and prompt you to give SU permission to the app? Did you click 'remember'?
  3. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Download Terminal Emulator and type su in it. Like said before about a pop-up box set to remember. If u don't get the prompt u don't have root. Look for a correct root update.zip
  4. r314bd

r314bd New Member

Well I figured out what the problem was...I wasn't in my SDK->tools folder lol. I changed the path and didn't get the message any more.

However, this is still complicated as hell and half the commands in the tutorials aren't working properly for me. I give up, for now. Maybe in a few days I'll try again lol.
  5. 52brandon

52brandon New Member

what are you using adb shell for? You can just put the wifi tether .apk on your sd, open it with astro and install...

ETA: dont give up on learning adb shell, its amazingly useful for basically everything. But if the wifi tether is your #1 priority, it can be done the way I said and you can take your time figuring out adb shell
  6. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Ya, for some reason, I had a hard time picking up adb, was not paying attention to the details I guess. One time I would be using adb commands in shell, then I'd 'accidentally' figure out what I did wrong, so I never learned what I was doing wrong. It would literally go like this...

adb shell
    su
    adb push ......
    'hmmm, scratch head...'
    adb push.......
    exit
    adb push....
    '?why did it work that time..'
    mount -o remount,rw......
    'oh...'
    su
    mount -o re.....
    'why is this not working now'
    'oh...'
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount......
    FINALLY..
  7. r314bd

r314bd New Member

LMAO that's exactly what I went through haha

Luckily I found ChevyNo1's exe file which automated the whole thing...although I wish I had found it 4 hours ago :mad:
  8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

You can't run adb from inside adb. Does that help explain it? "adb shell" is a command you run to get a terminal on the droid. From that terminal, you can run commands on the droid. You can't run adb from the droid, because adb is on the computer, not the droid.

It worked that time because you weren't already in adb when you tried to run an adb command.

"mount" is a command you run to remount the droid filesystem as read/write (so you can write to it). You run that from the droid, so you need to be in adb shell (and root) to do it - so it only worked after you ran "adb shell" and "su"

It helps a lot to know what the commands you're running are doing:

"adb shell" -> using a computer, open up a remote terminal to run commands on the droid (things you type after this are run on the droid, until you type "exit")

"adb push" -> push a file from the computer to the droid.

"su" -> become root (give yourself admin access). This will pop up a window on the droid to allow/deny. This needs to be run on the droid (through adb shell or in terminal emulator)

"mount -o remount,rw /system" -> remount the filesystem as read/write. This allows you to write to it (normally it is read-only)

"mount -o remount,ro /system" -> remount the filesystem as read-only. This makes it so you can no longer write to it.

"sync" -> synchronize the filesystem. This means that it will finish writing whatever it is currently writing. Not really needed, but it is a good percaution to make sure that whatever you were changing has completed before rebooting (you don't want half a corrupt file!)
Search tags for this page

adb permission denied

adb remount permission denied
adb shell commands permission denied
adb shell permission

adb shell permission denied

adb shell root permission denied
adb shell su permission denied
adb: permission denied
how to get shell root permission
permission denied adb shell
permission denied in adb shell