Having trouble reverting to a Backup you made using Clockwork recovery?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jonny Kansas, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ok. There have been a rash of threads on this issue lately. I've had the problem myself actually, so that's where this guide comes from.

Let me start off by saying that I have NO issues with Clockwork recovery OR Rom Manager. They're very useful tools, and I actually REALLY like how they're both setup.

That said, numerous people have had issues with using Rom Manager to flash clockwork recovery, create a backup of their current rom (strangely, a lot of Bugless Beast users. lol), install cyanogen, then attempt to restore the previous rom that they backed up.

In doing this, we (again, I say we because I've been down this road) found ourselves stuck on the M logo in fear that we screwed something up.

Until things get ironed out (I've heard that older versions of Clockwork that are NOT downloaded for you by Rom Manager don't have this issue and will restore properly, but can't verify that personally), I've created this step-by-step guide to help you restore order to your phone.

This process will reinstall a working version of Cyanogen and have you download/use DMUpdater to reflash SPrecovery (this is the easiest way I've found, if you've got a better way to get SP back on your phone, ignore the steps regarding DMUpdater). You will then be able to use SPrecovery like you have before to restore to your most recent nandroid backup.

You MAY lose some data/etc. Because this system relies on your most current nandroid backup, if you made changes, downloaded new apps, or etc., those may be gone. BUT, this WILL get your phone back in working order, so it's a small price to pay (I personally had to reinstall and reconfigure some things, so don't feel bad) To minimize data/app loss, when you get your phone to the point where you're up and running on Cyanogen (or any time a ALL, periodically), It's a good idea for you to backup your important stuff using Titanium Backup, AppManager, Astro File Manager, MyBackup Pro, or any other backup utility that you might prefer!

Now, onto the guide!

1. Boot into Clockwork recovery by holding x while holding down the power button.

2. Scroll to "install zip from sdcard" and press the camera button.

3. Use the volume down key to Navigate to "choose zip from sdcard" and select once again with the camera button.

4. Scroll down to and select "clockworkmod/" This may not be visible on your screen, but if you scroll past the end of the list, you'll find that it continues scrolling through the contents of your sdcard.

5. Once in there, you're looking for the Cyanogen install file. It will be located within the second directory on the list (not "download/") and will be named something like "cyanogen_sholes-ota-eng.koush....etc.zip" Select that file, and clockwork will reinstall Cyanogen

6. Once it says "install from sdcard complete," reboot the phone. You should now be running cyanogen.

7. Download DroidMod's DMUpdater here -> DroidMod v1.0 is out - DroidMod Then, install/run DMupdater. It will ask for root access. Go ahead and check "remember," and click allow. It will also ask you to recheck for permission after you allow, but should take you right into the recovery check after that. You'll likely have to reallow "Unknown Sources" to install it, but it will prompt you to do so, so no worries.

8. DMUpdater will tell you that you need to reflash your recovery image. Accept the popups and allow it to do so ("I understand" and "Flash recovery image"). Once this finishes, you should now have SPRecovery again. Reboot into SP and restore your last preferred nandroid backup, then reboot.

If you think that you might want to play around with CyanogenMOD again, BEFORE restoring the nandroid backup as described as above, you can create a nandroid backup of your system before restoring to your previous rom. This way, you can simply use SPRecovery/nandroid to switch between the two and play around. :D

I just did all of this, kinda with the exception of reinstalling cyanogen mod, but I literally downloaded Rom Manager, flashed clockwork recovery, installed cyanogen (including the hiccup that required me to install it manually from the sdcard in Clockwork), flashed SPRecovery using DMUpdater, then reverted to the nandroid I made of Bugless Beast before I began this process.

If you have any questions at all, either before starting, or anywhere along the way please refer to step numbers if you're stuck in a specific spot and post in this thread.

AGAIN, this is not intended in ANY way to knock Rom Manager, Cyanogen, Clockwork, or ANYONE or ANYTHING associated with all of those things. They are doing AMAZING work. Please don't come into this thread defending them OR bashing them. This is only to be used as a guide to get you back into working order and I intend to keep up with it and answer any questions anyone has to the best of my abilities, so I'd appreciate if anything not having to do with seeking help on this matter was left to other threads.

Thank you for understanding!

If you're following this guide and, for some reason, can't find the cyanogen install file on your sd card, you CAN use ADB push to place the file on the root of your sd card. As of now, I'm not including that in the guide, but if I get enough request for it, I will. This method is MUCH easier, as you can do it all right from your phone. Both will have the exact same result.

If, for whatever reason (not sure why you'd want to, but I'll offer it because it's a good guide and time was spent on it), you'd like to unroot completely and go back to stock to start fresh over, please take a look at the following thread: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-solutions/30446-how-unroot-cyanogenmod.html
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  2. Kaiken

Kaiken New Member

With my experiences with CM I couldn't use the camera button to select. I can use the volume rocker to scroll but I had to use the enter button on the keyboard to select. Just a heads up.
  3. Jonny Kansas

I used the camera button every time I've used clockwork, but thanks for adding that valuable info on what works if it doesn't!
  4. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Only the most recent versions of CW can use the outside keys.
  5. cvhovey

cvhovey Member

Thanks for this great guide! You put down in print what I was suspecting would be required since somewhere I saw it explained that SPRecovery nandroid backups and Clockwork nandroid backups were not compatible with each other's recovery process.

I've saved your guide for when I'm ready to flash the Cyanogen ROM as I'd want to see their work first hand at some point ... your guide should be highly useful!
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  6. Jonny Kansas

No problem! As stated, I experienced this issue first hand. The guide as you see it is basically the directions I created walking someone else through my way of getting back to a bootable configuration.

Glad to help!

This is a product of the newly formed (slightly unofficial) DF Rescue Squad. We'll soon be organizing guides, walkthroughs and other useful tips into an easier to utilize format!
  7. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

No lie; I had thought everything was good aftet i installed droidmod a couple of days. I had went into the recovery mode to see if I could mount in that mode. Well the clockwork recovery pulled up. I just restored it back to droidmod following this tutorial (I knew how to do it but I wanted to put it to the test).
  8. Jonny Kansas

Happy to pass the test! I did the whole thing while writing it to be sure of the steps. I tried to reinstall cyanogen using rom manager and something went wrong. I installed it in clockwork from a different location on the sd (had the install file in the root from my previous issue. I used adb to push it), but other than that, I literally performed the steps as I wrote and didn't post it in the original thread until I was sure it booted up properly. :D

More work than I probably needed to do, but I put in my notice at work, had my last day, but don't start my new job til Tuesday, so I was bored... Lol
  9. cope2k

cope2k New Member

Yeah...I'm stuck After step 6 when I reboot it's still stuck on the M logo. I'm freaking. out what do I do?
  10. Jonny Kansas

I'm at work right now. On break for about 15 more minutes.

Don't freak out. Are you sure you selected the correct backup?

Also, I know that the newest version(s) of clockwork now have a nandroid option. If you try your cyanogen backup that you made with clockwork again and it doesn't work, try a nandroid restore. I'll be on break again in a few hours if no one else manages to help you more before then!
  11. cope2k

cope2k New Member

Yes, I got Cyanogen from here http://www.cyanogenmod.com/downloads/rom version 4.2.15.1 and it's under root:clockwork/ . I only have an SPRecovery backup is there a way to run that with Clockwork? I tried nandroid>advanced restore it said that the files can't be found. I'm thinking of just braking the thing and getting a new phone since I have insurance.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
Search tags for this page
cant open directory clockwork recovery
clockworkmod can't open directory
clockworkmod couldn't open directory

clockworkmod recovery couldn't open directory

clockworkmod restore couldn't open directory

clockworkmod says can't open directory when trying to restor

cloclwork recovery restoe couldnt open directory

galaxy s3 restore couldn't open directory

nandroid backup couldn't open directory