1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Having some MAJOR problems since I flashed BB

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by poooookah78, Jul 22, 2010.

1. poooookah78

poooookah78 New Member

Hi,

First of all, I'm not complaining about the ROM itself, it's great and fast. I am NOT BASHING THIS ROM, it's great, please don't take this as a flame, cuz it's not. And I can always flash back to another ROM if it doesn't work but I'm having a few issues that have proven to be very major and I can't figure out how to fix them.

Issue 1.

Battery Life: I get such horrible Bat life. I'm running 1.1 LV Kernel right now. I posted earlier in the main bb .4 thread that I was seeing all sorts of tasks running and I kept killing them but they popped back up. I currently clear these tasks and get to about 80 Megs RAM but within seconds I have apps reloading and I'm down to 40 Megs. Things like grooveshark, Mabilo Backgrounds, etc. I have deleted ALL the widgets for any of the said programs but the same thing happens. I set ATK to aggressive and I still have the same problem. I left the phone off the charger yesterday and from 100% it dropped to 15% in about 6 hours. I spent about 15 min talking on the phone and that was IT!!

Issue 2.

Wireless tethering doesn't work. Any ideas? Just says "Unable to start tethering, please try again."

Issue 3.

No vibrate!! I can't get my phone to vibrate anymore!! I click down on the volume button and it goes from ring to silent. I have Beautiful Silent OFF and Beautiful Vibrate on, nothing, I try all combinations of the two widgets and nothing.

Please help, maybe I'm REALLY stupid but I've had this ROM for about 2 weeks and still, no improvement.

THANK YOU!!!!!
  2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

Issue 1

Drop the ATK, Pete has memory tweaks in place. Between that and the Android system they do a fine job of task management. You should see batt life improvement.

Issue 2

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling, works for me and a lot of others.

Issue 3

That one is weird, maybe reinstall the ROM and Wipe,Wipe,Wipe
  3. lee__D

lee__D New Member

battery life depends on alot of things, prob not rmo related, maybe the screen being on a lot, etc.....check settings>about>battery usage to see

i have the wireless thethering program and it works fine. its frmo the market and is called "wireless tether for root users" muller, lemons, buxton are the devs

the vibrate thing is weird. maybe a setting.

did u wipe before u installed it? if not i would wipe a couple times and try again
  4. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid New Member

1. First did you wipe data/cache and do a clean install? Might try running termianal emulator and running the script free100mb.

2. Where did you get the wireless tether app from? Try one from this page if its not where you got it from. android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

3. In Froyo you cannot do the vibrate from the volume rocker, it is in settings>sound>vibrate. And yes, i hate that also. You can use something that has a widget to make the transition a bit better.
  5. poooookah78

poooookah78 New Member

Ok, the Vibrate has been fixed (Thank You Hemmor :p )

BUT, battery life, I'm just not sure about. I realize what you're saying about not needing ATK. And I did a FULL wipe, did cache then ROM. I'm still having TONS of apps running in the background for no reason. I keep having to kill them. And the screen stays off all the time.

Wireless tether for rooted phones is what I downloaded and try to run. Has the green lines in a diamond shape,just like I've always used in prior ROMS.

Thanks so much guys.
  6. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid New Member

Did you use titanium backup or any other app to restore your apps? Not sure if that would cause it. I always just install everything fresh as to create as few problems as possible. Other than that i would just create a backup of the ROM and try reinstalling it, and if you did to an app restore try not using it on the fresh install to rule that out.

Also did you try the free100mb script? Dont think that would "solve" the problem, but it could treat it.
  7. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

The android operating system is nothing like Windows/Palm/RIM/Etc. Android loads apps in memory so they will be immediately available when you need them. Let me stress, these apps are not "running" in the sense that programs run when started in Windows. They are simply sitting in memory. You don't have to worry about them, as they do no harm just staying in memory until needed. If android needs additional memory, it will remove whatever needs to be removed in order to have the amount of memory it requires. Forget about watching how much free memory you have because it changes as the operating systems needs change. Delete any task killer the idiot Verizon reps convinced you to install, or that they installed. Killed apps will, in most cases, be put right back in memory by android.
  8. psiuglen

psiuglen New Member

Most modern OS's are doing this, even Windows 7 (it pretty much scales up to however much memory you have).

The more aggressive the task killer is the more often it will then need to load those apps and services back into memory. I would also think that this applies to the 100MB free setting, it will make Android's internal task management more aggressive (this theory straight out of my arse, but it sounds like it). Shouldn't need to much actually free at any given moment. Check your apps and see what is running and if you actually use it at all, and what the cpu usage is.

What does the battery usage in Settings say is using the battery? And if you're constantly killing apps...then the screen isn't off all the time.

What are your various sync settings like? I space mine out to a half hour or hour, and then use JuiceDefender (now working on CDMA) to fire up every half hour. Pretty good life that way.
  9. gsDroid

gsDroid New Member

My battery lasts at least a day and a half of moderate use. I do turn it off, not standby, at night. I suggest you try bb 0.4 with the stock kernel and no task killer. I could not be happier with this rom.
  10. Big D

Big D New Member

I just installed this today and noticed seriously less in the Battery department.

I used to get 1.5 days of moderate use and now I was in need of a charge by 3:00p.
  11. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

The only MAJOR problems with BB are always the same thing; user error.
  12. treefrog20012003

treefrog20012003 New Member

I had all of the problems that you had and now have my own solution that works well, at least for me. I went back to sprecovery and no longer use clockwork, clockwork does not wipe properly on my phone and I don't know why, then wipe with sprecovery 3 times for data and cache like it has been stated hundreds of times on this site ( yea it really does matter) then after the install I use P3 kernals as they give me the best results. I have tried other kernals but only P3 gives 14 hours of battery life. I don't use any widgets that call for data (except one), no atk, no battery widget. The only widget I use is beautiful home for the clock and the weather is set for 16 hour refresh.
  13. TuBitMittens

TuBitMittens Member

I've noticed my battery life has decreased a bit too since using a rom. and yes, I've done all the wiping. perhaps its cuz I'm using more..its hard for me to really tell. believe it or not. Today I've been using it moderately to heavily syncing email, not to much browsing and I have 11 hours and 45 minutes shown since I booted it up fully charge and I have around 30% battery left. right now i'm trying out the low voltage 1.0 ghz kernel from chevy but I usually keep it clocked between 250-550 and 250-700. I also have the black glass them though it always seems to show a higher percentage of battery use for different uses more than it would without a theme. but I don;t think it makes a difference. might be a mild cpu reading bug or something. don't know how the hell people can always be clocked at 1.0 ghz and get 15 hours of a lot of usage..
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  14. treefrog20012003

treefrog20012003 New Member

In my case I quit using the atk and I also dropped the set CPU on install. I still sync email every hour and I got 14 hours last time before a recharge. I use a RSS reader as well and it sync's every hour. I run the P3 125-900 kernal and this works well for me on bb v0.4.
  15. poooookah78

poooookah78 New Member

Well, I appreciate your sarcasm and jab; in this case, I don't feel like I'm being stupid. I'm simply having battery issues with this. As I stated in the OP of this thread, I love this ROM, I've probably flashed 5 ROMS before this one and this has been my favorite so far. I did a full wipe w/ SP, not clockwork. I did cache, reinstall, the works and I'm still having trouble with battery life (as it appears others are too so maybe I'm not stupid).

How much difference is there in a LV and a ULV kernel at the same speed as far as the battery life?
  16. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

It wasn't sarcasm or a jab, nor did I imply you were stupid. My posts is what it is. You are not having trouble with battery life, you are just something wrong which kills your battery faster.

Look within; read, read, read and maybe you'll find your answer.

In closing, you're doing it wrong...
  17. poooookah78

poooookah78 New Member

Not a jab? Wow, I must not read your posts correctly. I'm simply asking for help in the forums of the ROM I'm running, how dare I? WTF man?
  18. ZeroBarrier

ZeroBarrier New Member

No, you're cluttering these forums of the ROM you are running with yet another thread on a subject that has been discussed ad nauseum.

I suggest next time you do your research and read the main ROM thread of the ROM you're running and/or do a search about the subject you want to ask about.

And please; spare us the "I don't want to read XXX amount of pages to find what I'm looking for" bull if you post your question in the main ROM thread.

Thank you, and have a nice day.