Having some issues with installing OC Kernels

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Rodvette23, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Rodvette23

Rodvette23 New Member

I am having some issues installing Chevys kernel on my droid. I had no issues following Matth3ws guide on installing bugless beast, I also wanted to use Chevys kernel so i followed the instructions. Everything seems to run smooth but when it reboots I get stuck in an M logo reboot ( I dont even get to the eye). Is there suggestions on what steps can I take. Should I charge it to my wall because it might not have enough juice? restart the whole process again from right after rooting? I used my nandroid backup to get out of the loop and back to an earlier state. I really would like to use the OC kernel as it is the main reason I rooted but I cant seem to get it going. suggestions are welcomed :(
  2. Rodvette23

Rodvette23 New Member

wow, no reply. must be slow today lol.
    update : I have tried Chevys and Adamz kernel and I cant it going, I get stuck in bootloop after the update.zip

rooted and using bugless beast .9

1)downloaded the kernels and renamed them to update.zip
    2)powered off phone and went into recovery mode
    3) chose to allow update.zip and install update.zip (deprecated)
    4) everything goes smoothly and it says its successful, power off phone
    5) stuck in M logo bootloop
  3. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Have you tried a lower kernel clockspeed? Make sure you have a good charge on your battery and also try wiping the cache.
  4. Rodvette23

Rodvette23 New Member

How do I lower my kernel clockspeed?

is 50% battery a good charge to do this process at?
  5. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

you lower the clockspeed by selecting a kernel with a lower maximum speed. AFA the charge goes it may be good Ive never really had a problem with it, try charging it to 100% and see if it helps.
  6. Rodvette23

Rodvette23 New Member

the only kernel I have is the one that came with bugless beast, there is no way to adjust that ? I am having a little trouble following you, I am sorry.
  7. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Its quite alright, at least youre not like the other noobs that keep asking the same questions over and over again even thought the answers are right in front of them.

ChevyNo1's Kernels and Adamz kernels are the main two guys that make the kernels. You can adjust the kernel speeds with SetCPU but thats not what I meant. Download a kernel with a lower maximum speed, most people suggest starting with the lowest OC kernel and going up, I do just the opposite. I start with 1.25Ghz and go down until its stable. IMO the easiest way to install kernels is via the Ultimate Droid Customizer, but you have to have Rom Manager (donate version) and UD8 or 9 for it to work. The other methods are installation via the recovery console in either a tar ball (tar.gz) or a zip format.
  8. Rodvette23

Rodvette23 New Member

Thanks for the feedback :)!

I will definitely look into that. I tried to install simply stunning today as it comes with a 1.2ghz kernel already but I got stuck in the M logo loop when I tried downloading that rom so I must be doing something wrong.
  9. voydas

voydas New Member

My bugless didnt come with a 1.2ghz kernel. Came 600mhz default..

For me, After installing bugless and making a nandroid backup of the new install I went to the link posted above for Chevy's kernels, downloaded the 7 slot 1.2ghz kernel, placed it in root of /sdcard renamed as update.zip and did the update.zip installation through the recovery menu... rebooted, opened setcpu and adjusted the profiles accordingly..
  10. Rodvette23

Rodvette23 New Member

There is a 7 slot? I only saw 5 and 10. Hmmmmmm.

Edited: thanks Brando for the lower kernel suggestion, I followed it and I am up and running using simply stunning ROM with Chevys kernel :)