Solved Having serious issues with settings app crashing

VectorLightning

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
When I open the App Manager it completely dies. Permissions are altogether unuseable, it says something about screen overlays, then it dies. (Android 6.0) Actually the problem I was trying to solve when I found out that this was bork'd was the new dialer app I got not being allowed to dial. I figured something was wrong when this happened:

"Allow Dialer to access your contacts?" "Allow"

"Screen overlay detected. To change this permission setting, you first have to turn off the screen overlay from Settings > Apps" "Open Settings".

"Loading................. Unfortunately, the process com.android.settings has stopped." "...ok..."

As soon as I got past this, I tried checking the App Manager to see if the last app I'd installed did something or if there was an app I didn't recognize that just showed up, and ... it fails to load the app list and crashes.

I really need some help with this I can't even make calls until I fix this can someone help me?

This is an LG G3, verizon, android 6.0

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Quickest way to fix this..turn it off..boot into recovery .and from recovery..do a factory data reset..idk how to do that from that phone. But I'm on my way back from work... hopefully someone will see this and throw you a bone..or you can google FDR through recovery lg g3..you will lose all info on the device..but this will make it usable..sorry..

OP
V

VectorLightning

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Awesome news, there's no problem when it's in safe mode. Looks like if I figure out what's going on it'll be simple as uninstalling some broken app that messes with settings... Right?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
If it works in safe mode, it is almost 100% sure that it's a user-installed app interfering. Go through your newly installed apps and try disabling them one at a time until things work and you'll have the culprit. Then enable all but the offending app and see if it still works. If so, you can either leave it disabled, or better yet uninstall it.

By the way, please let us know when you discover the offending app so your research can benefit others as well.

Thanks.