Having serious DROID issues, on my 3rd replacement

ChaosbyWind

Reaction score
So, I am really in a bind here, I am currently in Panama on vacation and my droid is almost useless for entertainment, however I expected this woudl happen, let me tell you why:

I got my first droid in January, and rooted it in March, eventually switched over to the Ultimate Droid ROM, and it was great, had no problems. Well eventually my back light started to flicker like a strobe light and I used my warranty to get it replace, It was functional, but really annoying. Well my first replacement came and immediately felt cheap. Buttons on the keyboard didnt work, the gap between the screen and keyboard was 2x larger than normal, and it was just crap. Well that phone lasted like a week then it crapped out.

Got another replacement, was great then within 2 weeks the backlight stopped working but the touch screen still would. Even when the phone was starting the moto logo wouldnt show up unless i pressed hard on the screen in a certain spot.

Well, I was leaving to panama last week monday and needed a phone, so since they didnt have enough time to ship me one they told me to go into the store the saturday before. I got one, re-rooted, got the latest UD ROM and was good.

I woke up monday morning and my screen would not unlock, I had to do a few battery pulls to get it to work. Well all was good for a few days. Then everything went bad. A few pulls turned into 10, and after 5 minutes of idle time the phone would stop responding. Meaning, If I am not constantly using my phone it will just not respond to touch. I used a magnet to get out of the lock screen and even still then it would not work.

I reverted to an earlier nandroid backup of an earlier UD ROM and it did the same, however for the first few hours a restart woudl get it working again.

Well I then went back to a virgin oem nandroid backup I have, and it was working initially at the google setup (touch the android to begin) screen. But again after a couple minutes it just stopped working.

Ive been using the Ultimate Droid ROM and overclock at 1000-1100. Dont know if I keep getting defective phones or im doing something wrong. Ive been using this rooting method each time for all the replacements:

Another Android 2.2 FRG22D Rooting Method for the Motorola DROID - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I have my GF in the states calling verizon to get me a new phone ready when I get back. Im not sure if breaking root will fix the problem.

Oh, another thing, when I hold the power button to turn it off after it has frozen, the selection screen is already highligted like it knows I have to use the keyboard to choose. Usually it is all white and you just press which one you want, but if you use the d-pad it will highlight itself

qtpie

Reaction score
Oh ya I can sympathize w u! I am also on my 3rd replacement incredible. I also got Verizon 2 give me a new battery. We thought that maybe that was the problem, oh no my d Droid only lasts 2-3 hrs.now. I am thinking about rooting but if something happens then I won't have a leg 2 stand on when I have 2 fight 4 a NEW phone. I am not willing 2 settle on a like new replacement. That 2 me is bull**** since I have been a faithful customer for yrs. If I were u get a brand new phone! You go to pick it out 2 make sure it is new! They have a habit of pulling the wool over your eyes if they can get away with it.

Good luck :)

OP
C

ChaosbyWind

Reaction score
Oh ya I can sympathize w u! I am also on my 3rd replacement incredible. I also got Verizon 2 give me a new battery. We thought that maybe that was the problem, oh no my d Droid only lasts 2-3 hrs.now. I am thinking about rooting but if something happens then I won't have a leg 2 stand on when I have 2 fight 4 a NEW phone. I am not willing 2 settle on a like new replacement. That 2 me is bull**** since I have been a faithful customer for yrs. If I were u get a brand new phone! You go to pick it out 2 make sure it is new! They have a habit of pulling the wool over your eyes if they can get away with it.

Good luck :)

I'm not worried about rooting, I unroot before I send it to them. As far as getting a new phone when I get back to the states Im going to have my attorney contact verizon and settle this crap and get them to get me a new phone or something (hey, why not? doesnt cost me anything).

OP
C

ChaosbyWind

Reaction score
So I told verizon Im tired of this and I will be contacting my lawyer once Im stateside.

Well now I will have a droid 2 global waiting for me when I get back home. Problem Solved.