Having problems activating droid

uncdude777

Reaction score
I just got the droid today for christmas and i am trying to switch the number over from my old phone. when i try to activate the phone, i make through all of the initial steps until the actual transfer. the phone beeps twice and an automated voice says that the number i have dialed is not available in my area. i think i may have to go to verizon tomorrow and have them activate it. any suggestions?

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just got the droid today for christmas and i am trying to switch the number over from my old phone. when i try to activate the phone, i make through all of the initial steps until the actual transfer. the phone beeps twice and an automated voice says that the number i have dialed is not available in my area. i think i may have to go to verizon tomorrow and have them activate it. any suggestions?
It sounds like you might be in roaming. You might be set on "B" and should be on "A" or vice versa. I'd call VZW and have them help you do a manual programming.

The other thought I have is I also have a Network Extender. If it is plugged in I cannot activate the phone until it's disconnected.

omzlaw

Reaction score
I got mine for christmas too, and am having the same issue. it sucks. no phone for a day i guess. no customer service.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got mine for christmas too, and am having the same issue. it sucks. no phone for a day i guess. no customer service.
I know that Customer Service is there until 5:00 p.m. - I worked it last year when I worked in a VZW call center. Give them a call. If you use a landline call 800-922-0204. And if you talk to Susan, she's a hottie :)

omzlaw

Reaction score
thanks! ive been trying but its either busy or wont go through.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks! ive been trying but its either busy or wont go through.
I just tried too, and also getting the busy signal. I know it is probably the busiest day of the year because of activations. Let me text someone who might be there today to see what the heck is going on.

OP
U

uncdude777

Reaction score
still no luck

after trying it several more times and reading the replies to my question, i realized that the roaming symbol is at the top of my screen. how do i switch from b to a or vice versa?

viperboy

Reaction score
after trying it several more times and reading the replies to my question, i realized that the roaming symbol is at the top of my screen. how do i switch from b to a or vice versa?

The phone will show roaming before it is provisioned and activated. Are you at the activation screen or are you actually into the phone? If you are able to actually dial numbers, dial *228 and than press option 3. Follow along and give the information it's asking for.

Also, do you have a data plan on your line now? If not, the phone might transfer you to a rep to add that on for you. You could try to add it on from you VerizonWireless.com account and than activating with the above steps.

Let me know how this works out for you :)

omzlaw

Reaction score
apparently this was just a case of everybody activating xmas phones...i kept trying until it worked and I love my droid. thanks guys.