1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Having Issues With SS 5.4, Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by SWFLDroid, Aug 1, 2011.

1. SWFLDroid

SWFLDroid New Member

I installed Cyanogenmod for a while and had nothing but problems so I switched to the latest ChevyNo1 ROM a few days ago and it seemed to run great right out of the gate.
    Now, low and behold, only a few days in and loads of bugs and glitches seem to be creeping in. The screen is often black when I first wake the phone prior to unlocking the screen, battery life is poor, the Market often times will not work, picture messages take forever to send, ect.
    So, my question is, should I try to tweak this ROM or is there another one that I might want to try?
  2. acpowell

acpowell New Member

Hope this helps

I had a few issues with SS 5.4 after a few weeks of installing. I decided to go back to the SS 4.96 but it was just not the same. I decided to do some research. I found some tweaks and then found the V6 SuperCharger from Zeppelinrox. Ran it as well as a few other Tweaks posted by MetalSpring.

Try these out and it should help alot. Mine has been running Great since. dancedroid

V6 SuperCharger: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...tproof-launchers-fix-memory-all-androids.html

SS 5.4 Tweaks for all: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/154543-simply-stunning-5-4-tweaks-all.html
  3. middleP

middleP New Member

I too was super dancedroidafter switching to Chevy's ROM. But after about 3 weeks I have noticed similar issues. Lots of force closes, few freezes, occasional auto-reboots.

I have tried 2 different kernels which helped momentarily - as does using the integrated task killer (but this even freezes up every other attempt). I have done the tweaks suggested, but haven't tried out the v6 supercharger.

So, fellow droiders any other suggestions?

Is supercharger worth trying? V6 or V8?
    Is it worth wiping everything and starting over?
    Or only dalvik cache, regular cache and .android_secure (as suggested here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/160177-ss-5-4-runnin-bit-slow-3.html)
    Over clocking further?
    Trying a different, performance type kernel?

I'd like to avoid reloading apps/widgets/etc if I can... so any suggestions that start here would be appreciated.

As always, thanks a bunch!
  4. spc_hicks09

spc_hicks09 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

I know this is how you already installed the ROM but....

Charge to 100%
    Wipe data/factory reset 3 times
    wipe cache partition 3 times
    wipe dalvik cache 3 times
    Wipe battery stats 3 times

Experiment with different kernels. I use the 1100mhz medium voltage kernel and i get over 30 hours on stock battery and over 50 on extended life battery. Not too many people can run the 1100 mhz kernels (or medium voltage kernels). The one I would suggest is probably the 1000mhz low voltage or ultra low voltage kernel.

I use a SetCPU "screen off" profile of a Max of 550 and a Min of 250 using the powersave governor.
  5. acpowell

acpowell New Member

Which kernel are you using? I have been using the Chevy kernels without problems.

Running fix permissions from Chevy tools will fix most of the force closes.

I recommend the V6 supercharged script. No need in wiping to run the script.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  6. middleP

middleP New Member

Pretty sure the 1.25Ghz-lowV is the last one I have tried.

Went to Chevy's tools, scripts, then checked fixed permissions. "fixed permissions" has now been running for at least 10 or 15 minutes. Is this NORMAL? Should I pull the battery?

Thanks, I will give this a shot.
  7. acpowell

acpowell New Member

The fix permissions can take a few minutes but not sure it should take that long. Warning, this will turn off the auto rotate so don't worry if that stops after it runs.

You may want to try the deprimed kernel from Prime. Its not Chevy but a friend of mine swears by it.

8. Paidnfull

Paidnfull New Member

Question, in the Supercharger obstructions it says to uncheck Lock Home in Memory for it to work. Mine is checked and grayed out in Chevy tools and Cyanogenmod tools. Any ideas how to uncheck that?

9. Oxymoron

Oxymoron New Member

+ 1 on this. I was having weird issues, and after I switched to deprimed they've all vanished.

I tried pretty much every kernel from Chevys latest batch, but my particular D1 just doesn't care for those. I even reflashed the ROM multiple times.... themed, unthemed, and with every kernel combination.

Right now I'm running 5.4 with deprimed kernel, V6 supercharger, and ADW EX. Running the best it ever has.

Good luck to you man, happy androiding.

*customized tapatalk signature*
  10. gerend

gerend New Member

Edit build.prop

Using root explorer or similar method, you must edit /system/build.prop to remove the "HOME_APP_ADJ" line from the file, then reboot.

Personally, I used Terminal (executed su and sysrw commands) and copied it to /sdcard, edited it with my text editor, then copied it back to /system.
  11. Ma_USMC

Ma_USMC New Member

^^ This exactly. Haven't tried the V6 Supercharger yet but I have been holding off until after 5.5...
  12. alpine

alpine New Member

Link to the kernels?
  13. acpowell

acpowell New Member

14. Paidnfull

Paidnfull New Member

I found that line in Root Explorer. I can just delete that line and I'm good?
  15. middleP

middleP New Member

It took a couple of attempts, but after selecting fix permissions I now get the reboot necessary statement....
    but after rebooting and checking, fix permissions is no longer checked. Is this typical? (I'm not exactly sure what selecting this does, so don;t know if it runs on bootup once, is something that needs to stay selected, etc.)

Does this permanently turn it off or can it be returned on?

Thanks!
  16. middleP

middleP New Member

Yes, I had this same issue. Tried to leave it as it was and do everything else (per the visual directions, too). Not sure I did everything correctly. When I attempted to test, as the directions said, I seemed to be in the same beginning spot.
    Is there another way to test if it "stuck"?
  17. acpowell

acpowell New Member

It just runs a script to fix some settings that can cause issues. It only runs when you tell it to so don't worry that the selection radio doesn't stay lit.

It can be turned back on in Chevy tools display options.

18. section 8

section 8 New Member

put a # before the line so that it is "#HOME_APP_ADJ=1", then reboot.

the lock home in memory option will not be greyed-out anymore & you can take it off that setting.

*edit - don't include the quotations for the line either.