Having a SERIOUS problem with ROM Manager/Clockwork Mod

buellboy9

Reaction score
I can't seem to restore ANY of my recent backups. I keep getting:

Error while restoring /system!
/tmp/recovery.log was copied to /sdcard/clockworkmod/recovery.log. Please open ROM Manager to report the issue.

Of course, I can't open ROM Manager because my phone is a friggin' BRICK until this gets fixed. About the only thing I can do is restore an old backup I made of my initial install of Eclipse 1.1.1, but that, unfortunately, is not as fully functional as any other system I've back up.

It's not even letting me mount the sdcard from ClockworkMod or I'd do that and do a Copy/Paste here. If I display the log, I see:

Restoring system...
I:formatting unknown device.
rm: can't remove '/system/su-backup': Operation not permitted
rm: can't remove '.' or '..'
rm: can't remove '.' or '..'

And then there's a long string of "stuff" that I'm not even going to try and reproduce here.

HELP!!

jayman350

Reaction score
my suggestion would be to use R3l3as3droot and 43v3r root

t
hat will get you back up and running, I have not had good luck w/ rom manager on the Bionic. I flash/backup everything through bootstrap or safestrap b/c rom manager has just been hit or miss on this phone, and for me its been mostly miss.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jayman is right.

ROM Manager does not work correctly with CWR on new Moto devices. You need to use one of Hashcodes offerings.

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

OP
B

buellboy9

Reaction score
I'm back (Whew!)

Okay, I've recovered the system using CWM. I think the culprit is a new app I recently installed called "Voodoo OTA RootKeeper." It creates a protected directory so you can restore root after an OTA update. In addition, it can "hide root" so you can stream Google video and then restore it afterward.

I got the hint from the log messages I posted above. I guess Koush will have to work with the developer of this app to establish some kind of compatibility. In the meantime, I was able to use CWM's "Advanced Restore" to restore each file system one at a time. Doing a normal restore, it craps out restoring the /system folder, but using "Advanced Restore" you can individually restore the /data, /cache and /sd-ext folders as well.

OP
B

buellboy9

Reaction score
It's definitely that app. Circumvention is to delete the protected root prior to the backup, and then restore it after the reboot. Simple enough.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums