Have Treo 755p and want the Droid...How do I get my Contacts to the Droid?

Smudge

Reaction score
I have over 1,000 contacts in my Palm Treo and about 5,000 calendar events. I have had a good run (about 10 years) using the Palm OS, however I think that it is time to move on. Therefore, I am exploring getting the Droid. The only thing stopping me (or having me think twice about this) is getting my Contacts over from the Palm to the Droid. I spoke to two people at VZ and both of them said that they could transfer all of my contacts over. However, neither of them sounded very confident that this will actually work. This scares me because I could never manually re enter all of these contacts into a new device. I am not all that worried about my Calendar events as most of them are in the past and I can very easily enter the 50 or so that I have on my Treo which will occur within the next several months. I have created a gmail account....will this help in transferring my Contacts? Can VZ actually make this transfer for me....anyone with experience doing this? Will name, addresses, email addresses, ect transfer from the Palm to the Droid or will I be required to go thru each Contact on the Droid and make adjustments? Any help is much appreciated!!! If I can be assurred that this will work then my first errand today will be to the VZ store. Thanks for any help!!!

Paul1201

Reaction score
Create a Gmail account and see if you can import them into Gmail from the Palm desktop software. If you can get them into Gmail then when you get the Droid give the VZW saleperson that Gmail account to setup on your phone at the time of purchase. It may take a bit to sync 1000 contacts but they will get there.

Also explore the ability to sync your Palm calendar with your Gmail account. If so you will solve both your questions before you have to lay out any money for the phone.

OP
S

Smudge

Reaction score
ok....thanks! How exactly would I import into Gmail from Palm DT?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

When you get your gmail account set up look into the settings. You will see a tab that says "accounts and import." You will also see it has an import mail and contact button. Press that button, and it should be pretty simple from there.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Create a Gmail account and see if you can import them into Gmail from the Palm desktop software. If you can get them into Gmail then when you get the Droid give the VZW saleperson that Gmail account to setup on your phone at the time of purchase. It may take a bit to sync 1000 contacts but they will get there.

Also explore the ability to sync your Palm calendar with your Gmail account. If so you will solve both your questions before you have to lay out any money for the phone.

I had a Treo 750 and the above is exactly what I did. I didn't have that many contacts, but they all synced up fine and the Google Calendar is great. Once setup it works seamlessly at keeping my Droid and Outlook Calendar perfectly synced.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is one very convenient aspect of having a Google phone....

It's tied to your gmail account...and any Android phone you may get in the future will also have all your contacts and paid apps as long as you sign in to your gmail account on that phone...

OP
S

Smudge

Reaction score

When you get your gmail account set up look into the settings. You will see a tab that says "accounts and import." You will also see it has an import mail and contact button. Press that button, and it should be pretty simple from there.

I tried that however it appears as though this only imports from another email account. I am trying to import my Palm Desktop Contacts to my gmail account. I do not have my Palm DT contacts stored in any email account.

OP
S

Smudge

Reaction score

I had a Treo 750 and the above is exactly what I did. I didn't have that many contacts, but they all synced up fine and the Google Calendar is great. Once setup it works seamlessly at keeping my Droid and Outlook Calendar perfectly synced.

Did you have all of your contacts from your Treo 750 stored on Palm Desktop? If so, how did you get your contacts from your Palm DT into your Gmail account? Thanks

bdbraaten

Reaction score
I have over 1,000 contacts in my Palm Treo and about 5,000 calendar events. I have had a good run (about 10 years) using the Palm OS, however I think that it is time to move on. Therefore, I am exploring getting the Droid. The only thing stopping me (or having me think twice about this) is getting my Contacts over from the Palm to the Droid. I spoke to two people at VZ and both of them said that they could transfer all of my contacts over. However, neither of them sounded very confident that this will actually work. This scares me because I could never manually re enter all of these contacts into a new device. I am not all that worried about my Calendar events as most of them are in the past and I can very easily enter the 50 or so that I have on my Treo which will occur within the next several months. I have created a gmail account....will this help in transferring my Contacts? Can VZ actually make this transfer for me....anyone with experience doing this? Will name, addresses, email addresses, ect transfer from the Palm to the Droid or will I be required to go thru each Contact on the Droid and make adjustments? Any help is much appreciated!!! If I can be assurred that this will work then my first errand today will be to the VZ store. Thanks for any help!!!

I just did this recently for my wife when her 700p died.

Its a two step process. If you go into the Palm Desktop software you can export your contacts as a .csv file. Then you go into Gmail and it should let you import that .csv file.

OP
S

Smudge

Reaction score
How did this process work for you....did everything transfer over ok? Where in gmail is the place where I import the .csv file? Thanks again!

bdbraaten

Reaction score
How did this process work for you....did everything transfer over ok? Where in gmail is the place where I import the .csv file? Thanks again!

I can't completely answer your question, I let her go through and check everything because she knew better then I what information was correct or not correct for her contact list so don't know how clean it transferred or if there was some cleanup to do..

As for the where, just go to the contacts screen and look in the upper right. There should be an import button there that takes you to a screen to browse for the .csv file.

bdbraaten

Reaction score
Just talked to the wife, she said everything imported fine. Only issue she had was a few contacts were duplicated. I don't think that was in import issue though. She already had some contacts in her gmail account. We also have the Samsung i760 I moved her onto syncing through gosync to this account, since that was my old phone there were already some contacts on it so that may have caused the double up.

Let me know how it worked for you.

Twist747

Reaction score
I'm a Palm 755p transfer as well and loving my new Droid. I use Outlook and used to sync via the Hotsync function. Today, I am now happy with the software descovery of gSyncit. It sync's my Outlook (contacts, calander, notes & tasks) to my gmail and the rest is automatic from gmail & calander to my Droid.