Have some Questions

Willio

Reaction score
First off, this will be by first Android phone, as well as my first smart-phone, so I hope I've made a good choice by going with the Droid X. The phone should be ready for pick-up in about two weeks. I hope to be somewhat informed when I pick it up so I can get all the essentials out of the way. Anyway, I've done some reading around and I have some questions; hopefully you guys and gals will be able to help answer them.

Details of my phone plan:
- Unlimited talk, text, and data.

- First off, how long would you say the battery is good for? I've read the specs for the battery, and they look pretty impressive, but say I use the phone for about three to four hours per day, how often would I have to charge the phone?

- I've heard the phone ships with Android 2.1. Can that be upgraded to Android 2.2? Does that have to be done at the retailer, or can I do it at home? I've heard something about the OS being upgraded by the operator or something. What exactly is the case here?

- Should I buy any protective casing on the phone? Is the screen prone to scratching beyond normal wear and tear?

- I've heard the network is prone to sudden changes for better or worse, is this true? Does the phone spontaneously drop from 3G down to EDGE, etc?

- Any recommendations for extras I should get?

I think that will do for now. The reviews I've read said this is a very strong phone, so I hope the phone is good. Again, I want to thank you all in advance for any help and advice you can provide.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Battery life is hard one to judge, myself and other people can go a good two days. Some people have to charge it up mid day. Depends on how many apps you run that update periodically. How much you web surf and txt email and what not. I would say the extended battery would be a wise purchase.

Phone does have 2.1 the "official" update for 2.2 for the X is not out yet, delayed another three weeks at least. You can get it through other means if you want do some searching about rooting and installing the leaked version that is up to you. Might be better to wait for official since you are new to smartphones, and the update you can do right from your handset when it comes out.

Case would probably be a good idea, that phone is not any more prone to scratches than others. I think it is actually made very well, the materials they used make it feel pretty sturdy. But with that screen I would at least go screen protector.

SGP Steinheil ULTRA CRYSTAL Screen Protector for MOTOROLA Droid X [Verizon]

Would def recommend them.

As far as network that is going to depend on your area, I don't see to many dips for me. I have a network extender at home and I am always connected to wifi there so I have a connection all the time. When I am out I never see areas where I can't txt or make calls.

As far as extras, car charger, case, extended battery, and screen protector I have already mentioned other than that I got nothing.

I am sure you will love the phone, but it will take some getting used to. Be patient and read this forum like it was your bible. And welcome to the forum by the way forgot to add that part.

OP
W

Willio

Reaction score

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not an avid talker or texter, but the plan is shared on two other phones so I just asked to be added on as one of the lines. As far as web, I've never really used the internet on a phone because I've never seen a practical use for it before, but I might start using it frequently just to take advantage of what I'm already paying for. Chances are I'll just use it to mess around more than use it academically. The battery life might be mitigated by a car charger. Does the car charger hoop up directly via USB, or is there an adapter for older cars such as a cigarette lighter? I guess that's a question for the specific retailer, but would you know off-hand if they exist?

Since I'm new to the smartphone game, I'm probably going to just wait for the official release because I don't want to void the warranty by messing around with the phone. Good to know I can do it from home. That leads me to another question.

I know 2.1 does not have flash support, does that mean I can't listen to music on sites such as last.fm and other flash-based websites? Is there some sort of radio app available or an alternative that I could get if that were the case?

I will have to inquire about the battery extender, but will probably hold off until I know whether or not battery life will be an issue. In all certainty I will buy a case and/or screen protector because I would like the phone to stay intact in-case I get butterfingers and drop it by accident.

As far as locale I live in Los Angeles, CA so I'm hoping there's decent signal in similar metropolitan areas. I can always ask the sales rep when I pick up the phone as they have probably used the internet and can judge it. EDIT: I also want to add that this is my first phone with Verizon so I'm not really familiar with their network. I've had AT&T for the past four years but family decided it was time to move on once their data cap started rolling in. Didn't really effect me, but it would save more money being on a combined plan than it would staying separate.

Again, thanks for your time in addressing my concerns, as well as your suggestions. It's very much appreciated.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Car charger is in a cigarette lighter form, and has a usb port on the charger to charge two things at once (kinda nice actually).

Flash support that is correct you won't be able to see flash based sites, but there is a fm radio app built into the X. Plus you have Pandora and others that I have seen people use. So I don't think you will have a problem there.

Cases there are quite a few options I am still using the one from Verizon the leather snap on with the kickstand. Pretty cool for watching videos and playing games, but will probably go ottorbox when they come out.

I think the batteries are still sold out right now anyway so probably better to get it and see if you will need one before spending the money.

Let us know if you have any other questions.