have rooted 2.1 can i OTA update the new 2.2 when it arrives

1038102j

Reaction score
I have a rooted 2.1 phone. Have done very little experimenting with it decides renaming the bloatware. I have changed everything back to normal. I am not in the position of waiting for the new 2.2 to be released. My question is this, do i need to revert back to 2.1 to receive the OTA Update, if so how do I go about that in the most efficient way possible. 2. If i want to remain rooted and I can update OTA while rooted in 2.1, how can I remain rooted when I update the software?

Thanks for help

C

chrmbly

Similar question here, so I'll give you a bump and ask a slightly different question.

I have rooted 2.1, with all the bloat intact and I'm running Koush's recovery. I remember previously that there were issues with using the update.zip to upgrade to the leaked 2.2 when people had installed Koush's recovery. Will this likely be a similar situation, and does that mean I'd have to reflash the sbf before doing the OTA update (and get rid of the recovery)?

Thanks for any help!

technique

Reaction score
No one will know 100% for sure till the actual OTA is here, but from what I've read, it doesn't matter if you are rooted, you only need the following:

Android 2.1
Certain bloatware such as blockbuster, cityID, myverizon) (I don't think you need Need for Speed (NFS) or other bloat)

That's it! But, we'll have to wait until tomorrow to know for sure.

Hanoverfiste

Reaction score
Here is the issue I am having. I am NOT rooted (but was) got rid of the bloatware and attempted the 2.2 upgrade. So I went so far as to boot into clockwork recovery. Now when I shut the phone down and power back on I boot into recovery. How do I stop this from happening??

Last edited:

The Rick

Reaction score
well, i did the easy root "unroot" before and the update ended up failing. I think i need to go reinstall all the bloatware crap

hyunkoon

Reaction score
That recovery is blocking my update too. how can I remove whole recovery thing?

tank72

Reaction score
OTA update had seemed to unroot my DX. I might try tomorrow to do easy root again

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

xliderider

Reaction score
well, i did the easy root "unroot" before and the update ended up failing. I think i need to go reinstall all the bloatware crap

I had root via Easy Root as well. I clicked the Unroot button while the 2.2 OTA update was downloading.

Updated without a hitch, I never renamed any bloatware files after rooting.

Imagaymer

Reaction score
That recovery is blocking my update too. how can I remove whole recovery thing?

flash spf to go back to 2.1 then get the OTA

Don't. Flashing back to 2.1 after OTA 2.2 will brick your phone.

so then how can we bypass clockworkmod to get the ota installed?
I never used the unoffical 2.2 I did however change my bootup to the R2D2 :)

kk4df

Reaction score
Removal of the Bootstrapper that you installed just prior to Rom Manager is detailed here:
Easy way to remove Koush's recovery? - Android Forums

You can SBF back to 2.1 as long as you have NOT yet received the 2.2 OTA upgrade, if you want. But I think removing the bootstrapper as detailed in the link will allow it to upgrade if you just have 2.1 rooted, as I do.

I'm still blocking the updates until all the nitty gritty details are known.

Imagaymer

Reaction score
Removal of the Bootstrapper that you installed just prior to Rom Manager is detailed here:
Easy way to remove Koush's recovery? - Android Forums

You can SBF back to 2.1 as long as you have NOT yet received the 2.2 OTA upgrade, if you want. But I think removing the bootstrapper as detailed in the link will allow it to upgrade if you just have 2.1 rooted, as I do.

I'm still blocking the updates until all the nitty gritty details are known.

Many thanks for the link using root explorer.
I uninstalled bootwrapper
deleted the hijack file
deleted logwrapper file
renamed the logwrapper.bin to logwrapper
I did discover you have to tap the button on root explorer where it says mount r/w first to delete or rename.

Love this site I'm really learning a lot here guys.

C

chrmbly

Thanks for the replies. Worked fine... now if only I could get my pattern lock back... ;)