Have a rooted 2.1, want Sapphire..

psychobabble

Reaction score
I have a rooted 2.1 with BB 1.1 on it. I would like to load Sapphire on it but have no idea where to start. I have searched the forum and have come up with bits and pieces, but no firm "this is how you do it."

Sorry for the noob question, just want to get it right.

Thanks

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thread moved for better assistance with Sapphire.

I've never installed a custom ROM but wouldn't it be the same way you did BB? You just would pull the BB .zip file and insert Sapphire file (rename perhaps) and then do a back up and then flash the new ROM.

Someone will come by and correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
P

psychobabble

Reaction score
Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I don't know if it is the same or not. Its been awhile since I rooted my phone I completely lost track on how to do it. The new update, 2.2, has since come out and I want to make sure its done correctly.

Thanks

kevdog

Reaction score
psychbabble:

There are a number of ways to do it, however I just need some more info. You've rooted, but have you flashed the recovery partition -- basically have you installed sprecovery or clockworkmod (ROM Manager)? You'll need either of these two things so you can flash the new ROM.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
How are you trying to install? Clockwork or SPR? Eiher way hookbill is right, follow the same steps you used to get BB running on your phone ...

OP
P

psychobabble

Reaction score
I've got SPR flashed now. So just back up everything I need and flash the new ROM?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Yup, def do a backup first. Then download Sapphire 1.0 and the gapps. Rename the ROM zip file to update.zip and put it on the root of your SD card and install it. Then do the same with the gapps (just be sure you move the ROM update.zip or rename it so you don't have 2 update.zips on your SD card). Reboot and enjoy!!

OP
P

psychobabble

Reaction score
I have a snag!! Installed gapps and rebooted, now I am stuck at the "Welcome to Droid" screen. I touch the android and nothing happens. Kind of like the touch screen quit working.

Any suggestions?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I have a snag!! Installed gapps and rebooted, now I am stuck at the "Welcome to Droid" screen. I touch the android and nothing happens. Kind of like the touch screen quit working.

Any suggestions?

Try rebooting. I've had instances where it would get stuck at the gmail acct verification; a reboot solved it ...

velocity92c

Reaction score
For future reference, ROM manager will handle everything for you, including kernels and installing gapps/themes. CVPCS is one of the free choices in ROM manager. Welcome to Sapphire!