have a motorola droid - want one for the wife

cbig

Reaction score
but Verizon, wirefly, others will only sell for $149-$199! :icon_eek:

They say if I start another line I can get one for $49. What's the diff? It costs $9 bux to start a line, why not keep a loyal customer? I could put the wife on ATT and get a discount.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

CB

JP 5.56

Reaction score

They say if I start another line I can get one for $49. What's the diff? It costs $9 bux to start a line, why not keep a loyal customer? I could put the wife on ATT and get a discount.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

CB
Call in Customer Service and ask them for an early upgrade. Don't let them tell you can't be done. It CAN be, you just need to find someone willing to do it for you.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

CB

If you don't need another line then it's foolish to start one, unless your contract is running up soon.

199.00 would be the correct price for what you're attempting to do. They are not going to lower that any. Figure if your contract runs longer then 15 months with that extra line and 49.00 you're still paying the same price.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

CB
Call in Customer Service and ask them for an early upgrade. Don't let them tell you can't be done. It CAN be, you just need to find someone willing to do it for you.

That 199.00 is the price of an early upgrade.

OP
C

cbig

Reaction score
her contract on that line expired in march

She's using my old vx6800. Seems cheaper to break her off and do her own line for what they charge.

Doesn't make sense to me mathematically. Keeping that phone as long as I am on line for the primary = roughly $220 @ 9.99/mo plus the data service and extra minutes.

(real troubles will come when the teenager wants a droid at the end of the month - not sure a kid should have that kind of freedom)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
She's using my old vx6800. Seems cheaper to break her off and do her own line for what they charge.

Doesn't make sense to me mathematically. Keeping that phone as long as I am on line for the primary = roughly $220 @ 9.99/mo plus the data service and extra minutes.

(real troubles will come when the teenager wants a droid at the end of the month - not sure a kid should have that kind of freedom)

If you do that you can pick up a Droid for 20.00 on Amazon. It's dirt cheap. And just my opinion but no teenager should own a Droid or any other smart phone unless they are paying the bill and shown the maturity of not abusing the internet. You really can't watch what they are up to with a Droid in their hands.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score

Are you adding everything up? It's basically:

Droid + Voice + Data
A. $199 + $9/mo + $29/mo - upgrading on a family plan via Verizon versus
B. $49 + $9/mo + $29/mo - adding a new line to your family plan via Wirefly
C. $19 + $39/mo + $29/ mo - new service through Wirefly on the cheapest individual voice plan

Over a 2 year contract term that's

A. $1111
B. $961
C. $1651

The individual line option isn't cheaper by any means. Don't fixate on the price tag for the Droid itself.

IIRC, with option B she won't retain her number, if that matters.

I could put the wife on ATT and get a discount.
You mean for an iPhone? Their Android selection in pretty poor at the moment.

OP
C

cbig

Reaction score
I've run the numbers. She could get off my service, I could save minutes and get her something similar on Sprint for 40 a month.

Rather have verizon but the cost for what she will do with it is extreme. I will call them and see what they are selling.