Hate the new droid update

panteramatt

Reaction score
So my droid x downloaded a new software version and it changed alot of things in my phone and its now not rooted anymore. It notifies me everytime I get a new email but I cant seem to turn it off in settings, Theres no way to send multiple texts to people in my phonebook and ALL of my facebook people are in my phonebook now which makes it a pain to try to call someone. Anyone else having a problem with the newest update and is there a better one?

leftspin

Reaction score
you can re root using D3 one click if you want to do that. Once you're rooted you can flash .602 and some .595 based ROMs.

The email notifications can probably be turned off in the email or gmail app, and try a different messaging application (I recommend GoSMS)

OP
P

panteramatt

Reaction score
Thanx for the help fellow jerseyian but Im seriously technically handicapped. Can you explain the D3 and flashing the roms and how to do it?

leftspin

Reaction score
haha, sure thing.

D3 One Click is a tool you can use to root the phone with your computer. As you might have guessed, you plug the phone in, click once, and it takes care of the rest. Download and how to instructions can be found here: [Root X] D3 1-click Root Method - Works on GB.602 and GB.605

A ROM is basically a modified version of android you can install on your phone. I'll let you do your own research on which ROM you'd prefer, but I recommend CM7, Shuji, ApeX or MIUI. To install a ROM:

1. Root your phone
2. Install ROM Manager from the Market
3. Flash Clockwork Recovery in the ROM Manager app
4. Download the ROM you want to flash to your SD card. Know the location it's in (which subfolder on the SD)
5. Open ROM Manager, click reboot recovery
6. Select "wipe cache" and then "wipe data/factory reset" from the main ClockworkMod Recovery menu (using the volume buttons to navigate the menu and camera button to select)
7. Select advanced>wipe dalvik cache
8. Go back to the main menu using the back button, select install .zip from sdcard
9. Navigate to the ROM you downloaded, select it with camera button, sit back and wait
10. When it finishes, reboot. Congratulations, you have flashed your custom ROM!

You need to make sure that the ROM you flash is compatible with your system version. Any ROM based on the Froyo (.340) kernel will brick your phone and you will need to SBF. Be sure to read up on the ROM you want to install to make sure it will work properly. In doing things like this regularly, you WILL brick your phone at some point and have to SBF. It's impossible not to screw stuff up once in a while so don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn as you go, and it always helps to make backups frequently which can also be done through ROM Manager :)

OP
P

panteramatt

Reaction score
Thanx a lot, will try that stuff tomorrow. So if I brick my phone is it toast or can it be fixed? Not sure what SBF stands for.

leftspin

Reaction score
Thanx a lot, will try that stuff tomorrow. So if I brick my phone is it toast or can it be fixed? Not sure what SBF stands for.

it can ALMOST always be fixed. SBF is just reverting the phone back to factory settings. It wipes everything from the phone memory (leaves SD card intact) and installs the Android OS the way it would come from the Verizon store. When you brick the phone so that it can't boot, the only way to get it back is to flash an SBF.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-rooted-help/100038-complete-droid-x-sbf-flashing-guide.html

dl1762

Reaction score
I had all the same problems I did a hard reset all fixed and my battery life is great

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
P

panteramatt

Reaction score
Cant get the root to work. It just says its checking to see if my phone is connected and it is but it wont find it. Windows cant find the software either.

leftspin

Reaction score
Cant get the root to work. It just says its checking to see if my phone is connected and it is but it wont find it. Windows cant find the software either.

Download the drivers from motorola and make sure usb debugging is on

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
P

panteramatt

Reaction score
Ok, so I finally downloaded the motorola software and rooted my phone. Now the internet wont work! I can only get into my market if my wifi is on. I tried to downlaod a new rom so I downloaded the ROM manager and Flash Clockwork Recovery. Now do I have to download a new rom onto my laptop and send it to my phone?

leftspin

Reaction score
Ok, so I finally downloaded the motorola software and rooted my phone. Now the internet wont work! I can only get into my market if my wifi is on. I tried to downlaod a new rom so I downloaded the ROM manager and Flash Clockwork Recovery. Now do I have to download a new rom onto my laptop and send it to my phone?

so post root, your data connection stopped working? that sounds like a problem, but try downloading the ROM over wifi to your SD card or yes from the computer and move it to your phone. Flash the ROM and see if that helps anything

OP
P

panteramatt

Reaction score
Yup. I rooted it and I could tether with it just fine. Then a little bit later I couldn't connect or anything. It just led me to a Verizon hot spot site everytime. Now, about 6 hours later, its back to normal just not rooted. How could it loose its root then fix itself? I did hit to update the su, could that have messed it up?

JackBennyfan

Reaction score
So my droid x downloaded a new software version and it changed alot of things in my phone and its now not rooted anymore. It notifies me everytime I get a new email but I cant seem to turn it off in settings, Theres no way to send multiple texts to people in my phonebook and ALL of my facebook people are in my phonebook now which makes it a pain to try to call someone. Anyone else having a problem with the newest update and is there a better one?

The update 2.3.4 crashed my video camcorder. When I try to record, it buffers and freezes the phone. Verizon is useless and Motorola wants me to mail my phone to them for 7 to 10 days to they can reload the OS on the phone. This is the 5th X and X2 I've had in 7 months. Verizon rep told me, "We know they are buggy and we're getting a bad rap because of it. We're changing the return policy so it goes to Motorola instead of us." Wow. They know the OS is buggy and they're still selling these phones. I'm going to be filing complaints everywhere possible. And I'm going to try to root this thing in the hopes that I can fix the problem or maybe redownload the old OS. The vid cam worked beautifully before this update. I feel your pain.