Has your phone replaced your PC? I gave my laptop away. here's why......

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by nomadicnut, Jul 2, 2012.

1. nomadicnut

nomadicnut New Member

I lost all patience for that thing called "boot up". I've become so used to the instant on with my smartphones my tolerance for waiting for a regular computer to "get going" wained to the point that i simply wouldn't wait. I never turned it on. So i gave it away. Gave it to someone who would otherwise not have afforded one.

Aside from a handful of things i need to do, just about 99% of everything i need to accomplish i can do on my phone. For that other 1% i go to that old school place called a library.

Maybe this will encourage others to do the same with that not so old laptop or desktop to help out a neighborhood family a little less fortunate.
  2. ascotinmpls

ascotinmpls New Member

How long did it take for your laptop to boot up? Mine boots up faster than my Razr Maxx.
  3. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Only thing I use my desktop for now is gaming and downloading stuff. My phone covers everything else for me with no issues.
  4. Trash Can

Trash Can New Member

Same here.

I still use my MacAir quite often, if for no other reason because it's easier on my eyes.
  5. smfechner

smfechner New Member

Its not the phone boot up, my phone is rarely turned off so the boot up is almost not there
  6. brucefulton

brucefulton New Member

Nope, still need to do significant typing. The phone is a poor substitute and I'm reading lapdock is neutered with ics. Too bad
  7. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

No way. While I use my phone for a lot, there are far too many things that it isn't designed or set up to do. While I could see phones becoming the central computing device at some point, Webtop style docks for laptops and desktops will still be needed for many tasks. For me, my phone is a great supplemental device to my computer, but it's nowhere close to being a replacement.

Same here as well. If both are completely shut down, and I turn them on at the same time, I can be here on the site typing up a post before on my desktop or laptop before my MAXX is completely ready to use. Plus, even once they're both up and running, a decent computer is much faster and far more responsive than the fastest smartphone out there.

"Neutered?" Not in the slightest. Webtop on ICS no longer has a desktop version of Firefox, which is a bit of a letdown, but in every single other way, it's far superior to the previous versions. It's a night and day difference for the better.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  8. brucefulton

brucefulton New Member

Ic it doesn't support Firefox and it did before it's neutered
  9. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Well, I think the lack of a desktop browser is a disappointment, but the vast improvements all around make it far from neutered. With previous versions of Webtop, which were full of bugs and didn't function all that well, one feature - the desktop browser - made it bearable. But now, with how well the entire OS functions, the lack of that one feature doesn't take away its manhood. I'll gladly give up a poorly designed, barely out of alpha style of OS with one great feature for a stable, fluid OS that's full of great features, even though it lacks the one good feature from the before.
  10. nomadicnut

nomadicnut New Member

Clarification

I wrote the above with the premise that the phone was already on as is the case with most smartphone users. I do not, and am confident you do not, boot it up each time you use it. A laptop on the other hand may not be left on all day which i generally believe is the norm. Pulling the phone out of your pocket to research an item, do some banking, tweeting, emailing, reviewing news updates etc is very handy. Starting up my laptop top do that would be a pain. That was the intent of my original post. Sorry for any confusion.
  11. justin82

justin82 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

i mainly use my computer to root my phones :)
  12. DocsDad

DocsDad New Member

I haven't turned on my laptop in months. MAXX does what I need although I have used my wife's once or twice.
  13. tc1

tc1 Member

Between having a smart phone and an android tablet, I rarely use my laptop.

Still need it for certain things, like keeping up with my continuing education credits and stuff. But for just browsing the Internet casually I mostly use my tablet.
  14. altjx

altjx New Member

I'll never get rid of my laptop for a phone and tablet. While its true that the phone can do a lot, there's no reason for me to come home and force myself to use a small screen and a thumb to navigate, whereas I have an extremely nice laptop, full keyboard (I type extremely fast) and a monitor.

For me, I only use my phone for things when either I'm too lazy to get up or not near a computer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.
  15. DROIDX2TN

DROIDX2TN New Member

X2!!!
  16. xxwabbit

xxwabbit Member

Sounds like you need to put in an SSD in yer laptop.
  17. mysticalmalissa

mysticalmalissa Active Member

While I LOVE my Maxx for on the go, I love my laptop while I'm home.
Search tags for this page
andriod phone replacing laptop
android phone laptop replacement

android phone replace laptop