Has anyone switched back to LFY?

Discussion in 'Liquid' started by jmorgania, Jul 1, 2011.

1. jmorgania

jmorgania New Member

I love liquid ROMS, however I'm not convinced the D1 has the guts to run a smooth and stable version of Gingerbread. I've been using LGB since it came out and though each release seems to be getting better than the previous problems continue to arise. LFY was super stable for me and my phone ran great. I'm torn at this point as to whether I should stay on LGB or revert back to LFY. Either way I'm sticking with Liquid. Any thoughts?
  2. bthoms

bthoms New Member

I've been wondering the same thing recently. I hate to go back since there is no LFY dev happening and there are some nice things in LGB that I hate to give up. But there are a few aggravating things in LGB. ex. Email stops syncing mysteriously, and on 1.9 and higher WiFi won't stay connected. That is why I'm back to LGB 1.85. Other than the WiFi thing they were great.
  3. luckyheel

luckyheel New Member

Yes, I switched back to LFY 1.95/1.96 a few days ago on my OG Droid.

I have been running various versions of LGB since May and not a single one left me satisfied with the way the phone was behaving. I had multiple FC issues, volume on music player/Pandora suddenly jumping to full blast as well as 3G/WiFi intermittantance when it clearly shouldn't....

The tipping point was with LGB 2.1 and neither Google Maps nor Browser would operate without freezing and forcing a reboot of the phone.

Since I've switched back, I have had none of the previous issues. The only problem I had was when I was trying to re-install some of my apps, the phone would not install them. I went through a series of fixing permissions in ROM Manager and re-booting the phone and finally they all installed with the exception of a few. Also, App2SD won't move some of the apps, but again, after fixing permissions, it seems to be working fine.

The phone has been running silky smooth for 4 days now and I have a 3G signal again here at work when I struggled to have one while running LGB.

Anyway, I am by no means saying LGB is at fault or that I didn't do something properly while installing (although I followed all instructions to the "T" for most of the installs and all of them since 1.9). All I can say is that I was "this close" to reverting back to stock after LGB 2.1 when I decided to go to LFY and I couldn't be happier right now. I do miss some of the extra features in LGB, but I'm living without them right now...
  4. Fault

Fault New Member

If you feel GB isnt working, you may want to tryout droid concepts. They are continously updating their froyo. I prefer gb for now, but they seem like good roms
  5. markc23

markc23 Member

Also frustrated so I went to Droid Concepts and it's excellent. I'd like to go back to LFY and compare.
  6. bthoms

bthoms New Member

I can't find the 1.96 ROM. Do you have a link where I can get that one. 1.95 was the last LFY that I ran and I still have that one.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  7. markc23

markc23 Member

Here's 1.95, can't find 1.96 yet.... hopefully someone else can...
    http://android.markjohnston.us/DL/LFY/
  8. jmorgania

jmorgania New Member

I did some digging and found this patch link referenced in another thread. I have downloaded it but have not installed it. I think you have to install 1.95 first as this is only a patch and NOT the entire build.

http://db.tt/OvTCbPB
  9. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 New Member

I think 1.96 was only on ROM Manager, when I first tried LFY I could only find 1.95 on the web. Also 1.96 is a patch I believe which might be why its only on RM.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  10. 3278

3278 New Member

I bounce back and forth between LFY 1.92 and whatever the latest LGB is. 1.92 was a sweet spot for me, in terms of radios all working properly, and liking the theme, and things running quickly with the right kernel. I'm not convinced yet that there's any "killer" reason to go with Gingerbread over Froyo, so I digs me some old-school Liquid action.
  11. Fault

Fault New Member

I was having problems with GB, but I feel as though they have stabilized. Try different kernels, always wipe, and hopefully itll get working for u
  12. crxlvr

crxlvr New Member

I went back to 1.85 it is only missing a few things from the latest TB release but I had way to many errors with 2.1. Ill try the new release whenever it comes out however.

13. HorsePony

HorsePony Member

What specific features in LGB would you be missing in LFY, if I may ask?
    I was thinking about also making the leap backwards to LFY for the last month or two prior to my potential move to the Droid Bionic in (hopefully) August now.

The main concern of mine with LGB has been my data issues and the incoming texts sometimes taking hours to arrive in my inbox. Camera issues have kinda sucked, but I have been dealing with those.
  14. martytoo

martytoo New Member

Ditto. I guess we could google it on our phones, but I am wondering the same.

This is looking more tasty to me.

[​IMG]

And I was thinking about making a wild dash back to reality.

[​IMG]
  15. markwebb

markwebb New Member

Yeah, one must try different kernels with GB. However, with that being said, I HAVE gone back to LFY 1.95 in the past few days and what a blast from the past: my phone never felt so speedy and responsive!

True, I have tried the SimplyStunning, LGB, Cyanogen and PE GB ROMS of the world as well as different kernels, but something tells me my phone runs better on Froyo.

There are/were always "annoyances" and slight issues with GB such as the camera issues, connectivity (though most recent builds have fixed that), lockups, FC's, lag, etc. My phone on GB never really felt as smooth or responsive as it does with Froyo. Whatever bugs there were, were squashed.

Yes, development should continue on GB for OG Droid, but I think GB is as far as it can go and not at 100%.

I will continue to support newer "fixes" of GB, but I am enjoying my speedy Froyo. I know, all Droids are not the same. :)
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  16. kongo

kongo New Member

Went to SS 5.4 with the deprimed kernal (#20). SS has been good to me so far, I had to try a few different kernals before I settled on the deprimed one.

Lowest temps so far on LGB, waiting to see how battery life is (so far... 4 hr. 36 minutes and 90%), super snappy.

I hope Liquid makes his fixes so I can get back to Liquid goodness...
  17. 6bolt2g

6bolt2g Member

I started having wireless tether issues so I tried PE v4.2 (still have wireless tether issues, connection but no throughput) and everything works and no force closes. LGB is stilll awesome though.
  18. crxlvr

crxlvr New Member

One thing I noticed in lfy was not having the ability to change the speed of popup windows. In gb there was an option to move from slow to fast, I see an option for opening speed but it doesn't seem to function like the one in gb. The stock kernal is only good to 800 also and doesn't run as smooth as gb, but all the issues I had I will deal with it or just flash another kernal on.

19. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

For adjusting window speeds try downloading "spare parts" from the marketplace. That is what I believe was making the adjustments anyway it was just built into the rom.

For kernels I always had tons of luck with RZR kernels on froyo builds. Not sure I ever used them on LFY because they may have come out after development on LFY stopped but IMO they are worth a shot.
  20. yamahansolo

yamahansolo New Member

Not trying to play devils advocate here but no way would I ever switch back! There are many things better about gingy! Also I wasn't aware people still had the data issue. I thought that was. Fixed. Months ago. It pained me to use my wifes phone with 2.2 it was so slow compared to mine. I have ran ss, ud, and liquid. All with minimal problems. I had a few minor issues a long time ago. With the camera. I think it was partly due to the kernel.
    Try a different. Kernel beforeyou downgrade. Also what launcher do you use? I found I like launcher pro with 2.3 the best. Adw seems glitchy with 2.3 I used to swear by adw. But launcher pro. Is so much faster. Plus you may not know this but under thelauncher settings you can increase you opening and closing speeds this gives the illusion that its faster.
    Also if your text aren't coming that has nothing to do with 2.3 itself. You should check your app settings and clear defaults and or unintall and reinstall it. Maybe something you have saved in the settings is causing the issue.
    Long live gingy!!!!!!!!!