Has anyone installed 2.2 on a eris?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
whats the point of updating to 2.1 or 2.2 from the stock 1.5 on the eris? ive read its faster, but for some is harder to use and the "over locking" drains your battery faster... also what is over locking?
(1) For the Motorola Droid, the jump to 2.2 included the JIT (just in time) compiler. Setting aside the fancy language for a moment, it basically means the operating system is much more effective in running apps. Using the Quadrant score as a benchmark, most stock 2.2 Droid owners have noted an increase of 3 or 4 times in their score.

I do not know if JIT is available and working on the version of 2.2 that the Eris is running, but I would assume it is. If that's the case, it's a good reason to upgrade.

(2) Overclocking. For the ordinary user, I don't think it's a major concern. I see three reasons an Eris user might want to do it:

(a) The Droid is underclocked; Motorola runs the CPU at a speed considerably slower than what it can do. If the Eris is also underclocked by HTC (don't know), then some users may want to open it up a little more.

(b) Some users love bragging rights. They want to push their phone to the limits. This is kind of macho, and probably applies to a small number of Eris owners.

(c) While overclocking eats more battery, you can ADAPTIVELY UNDERCLOCK! This is what I do: I have SetCPU run the clock speed low when I don't need speed (e.g., the screen is off, hot phone, low battery, etc.), and then run it higher when I need the processing power (e.g., playing a game). So you get the best of both worlds by raising and lowering clock speed (SetCPU does this automatically) as needed. Many owners (me included) suspect this has a large benefit on battery life.

-Matt

mrhavoc1988

Reaction score
whats the point of updating to 2.1 or 2.2 from the stock 1.5 on the eris? ive read its faster, but for some is harder to use and the "over locking" drains your battery faster... also what is over locking?
(1) For the Motorola Droid, the jump to 2.2 included the JIT (just in time) compiler. Setting aside the fancy language for a moment, it basically means the operating system is much more effective in running apps. Using the Quadrant score as a benchmark, most stock 2.2 Droid owners have noted an increase of 3 or 4 times in their score.

I do not know if JIT is available and working on the version of 2.2 that the Eris is running, but I would assume it is. If that's the case, it's a good reason to upgrade.

(2) Overclocking. For the ordinary user, I don't think it's a major concern. I see three reasons an Eris user might want to do it:

(a) The Droid is underclocked; Motorola runs the CPU at a speed considerably slower than what it can do. If the Eris is also underclocked by HTC (don't know), then some users may want to open it up a little more.

(b) Some users love bragging rights. They want to push their phone to the limits. This is kind of macho, and probably applies to a small number of Eris owners.

(c) While overclocking eats more battery, you can ADAPTIVELY UNDERCLOCK! This is what I do: I have SetCPU run the clock speed low when I don't need speed (e.g., the screen is off, hot phone, low battery, etc.), and then run it higher when I need the processing power (e.g., playing a game). So you get the best of both worlds by raising and lowering clock speed (SetCPU does this automatically) as needed. Many owners (me included) suspect this has a large benefit on battery life.

-Matt

thanks matt for the reply, im not sure yet on whether or not im going to update my OS as i havent turned the phone on to see what its currently running. thanks for the feedback though! :icon_ banana:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

-Matt

thanks matt for the reply, im not sure yet on whether or not im going to update my OS as i havent turned the phone on to see what its currently running. thanks for the feedback though! :icon_ banana:
You know, since my wife's Eris got the latest OTA update (patch?), her phone runs 2.1 really, really well. I keep flirting with the idea of moving her up to 2.2, but she's already got fast, clean screen transitions...everything is snappy and responsive (and no more silent phone problem). So I'm still undecided!

-Matt

arizonamoon

Reaction score
factory reset

ok all you educated techies. I rooted a week ago....better now, but still not impressed with the speed. I want to sell the phone on CL.

My question is after rooting, can i set the phone back to "factory default" or whatever it is called before I hand this to someone?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.....and girls.

OP
V

vacobra1

Reaction score
[/quote]
You know, since my wife's Eris got the latest OTA update (patch?), her phone runs 2.1 really, really well. I keep flirting with the idea of moving her up to 2.2, but she's already got fast, clean screen transitions...everything is snappy and responsive (and no more silent phone problem). So I'm still undecided!

-Matt[/QUOTE]

If you root it and use the PlaneJane rom it operates even smoother and faster and plus you can overclock it and get even more speed. Its what I did and I get about the same battery life as before and have a way faster and better operating phone. I recomend you follow this Universal Eris Root for Dummies! - Android Forums

Billreyn

Reaction score

-Matt

JIT is enabled on KaosFroyo 2.4. Runs great! Have it overclocked. It came in faster than the Droid1 in Quadrant Standard. Score was 427. Nice and fast! You can also download JIT and install it with other roms. Tried it with PlainJaneT2 to see what would happen. Seemed to work fine but Quadrant Standard kept FCing before completing. And then it locked up on me.
Another feature is that I now have wifi tether. I was able to tether my laptop and Ipad at the same time. Not the fastest, but it worked!
I also had the silent bug problem. Found that someone had pulled the radio fix from the official release. Installed it and so far so good!

mrhavoc1988

Reaction score
ok i dont see many ppl saying theres a massive difference between 2.1 & 2.2. my eris came with 2.1 and it seems to run fine, but my text's (sms & mms) seem to take a second to open. also i used my phone pretty hard today to see how well the battery lasts and it didnt get down to 1/4 of a bar till 12:15am so im pretty impressed. also im still wondering about the battery cycle to "break it in".....

OP
V

vacobra1

Reaction score
Where do you get the JIT for the plainjane Rom I would like to try it out

RootedEris

Reaction score
i just flashed Kaos Froyo and it says my SD card is blank.....which i know it cant be cuz my contacts are still there but my music pics and vids are no where to be found.....and it won't let me download anything from the market .....whad i do wrong

divalibra

Reaction score
i just flashed Kaos Froyo and it says my SD card is blank.....which i know it cant be cuz my contacts are still there but my music pics and vids are no where to be found.....and it won't let me download anything from the market .....whad i do wrong

Had the same issue..did u back up your sd card to your computer before flashing this rom? If so..mount your phone as a disk drive and copy the back up folder from your computer back to your sd card. That should fix it..

Sent from my ERIS using Tapatalk

RootedEris

Reaction score
yea i have a back up of my sd card on my pc but i just took my sd card and plugged in into my pc and its not blank i have everything ...literally everything.....the notification says blank SD card OR un supported file system