Has anyone heard about Fennec

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by snappingfish, May 9, 2010.

1. snappingfish

snappingfish New Member

Is it still in Alpha? Any ETA news?

Thx,
    fish
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I don't have a link but an .apk was released. Try searching google, phandroid, or androidcentral.
  3. snappingfish

snappingfish New Member

So, to update

From this morning, on the Firefox Mobile FAQ page:

Will Firefox work with my mobile phone?
    Firefox is currently compatible with the Nokia N810 and N900 mobile devices. Check back soon to learn how you can download an early version of Firefox for your Android device.

Can I still download Firefox to my phone even if it’s not a supported device?
    You can currently run Firefox on a Maemo device Nokia N900 or N810. If your phone is not on our list of tested devices, though we don’t guarantee full functionality. We encourage you try Firefox on a supported device so you can experience its full capabilities.

See our full list of supported devices

Below is a list of tested devices compatible with Firefox.
    Maemo

• Nokia N900
    • Nokia N810

Check out other platforms we're working on.

Download Firefox for mobile to your PC

Developers, you can install the mobile version of Firefox to your PC in order to test, provide feedback and build add-ons. The desktop versions are intended for development purposes only.

Sounds like they're close, but not today!

fish
  4. Guchi

Guchi New Member

Fennec Browser for Android
    Being Pre-alpha release, Fennec for Android is really buggy and only works with Android 2.0 though it does support extensions. You might want to read below warnings before proceeding for Fennec Pre-alpha published by Vladimir.
    [​IMG]
    1. We’ve only really tested this on the Motorola Droid and the Nexus One.
    2. It will likely not eat your phone, but bugs might cause your phone to stop responding, requiring a reboot.
    3. Memory usage of this build isn’t great — in many ways it’s a debug build, and we haven’t really done a lot of optimization yet. This could cause some problems with large pages, especially on low memory devices like the Droid.
    4. You’ll see the app exit and relaunch on first start, as well as on add-on installs; this is a quirk of our install process, and we’re working to get rid of it.
    5. You can’t open links from other apps using Fennec; we should have this for the next build.
    6. This build requires Android 2.0 or above, and likely an OpenGL ES 2.0 capable device
    To get this pre-Alpha build of Fennec browser, you can point your phone browser to bit.ly/fennec-android (Direct APK Download Link). Before installing it, make sure to make your settings to allow you to install non-market apps. To make sure goto Settings-> Application-> and check “Unknown Sources”.
    (via Techcrunch)
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  5. snappingfish

snappingfish New Member

thx.

I saw that also, and I'm certainly willing to wait.

fish
  6. Guchi

Guchi New Member

not going to give the pre alpha a spin? i have it installed and working on my incredible
  7. snappingfish

snappingfish New Member

nahhhh....not me

I'm just a happy consumer. I have no interest in fighting some pre-alpha buggy app. If I were loaded, and had 4-5 Droids laying around just to play with, then, maybe. But, I'm retarded....oops, I mean retired, so I'll just wait until the 2nd/3rd Beta release, or maybe even the actual open release occurs. (BTW, lately the first open public release these days is the equivalent of the 2nd beta in the old days. Now, folks seem to put stuff out and let the PEOPLE play beta testers, even if it means some unhappy campers. Snow Leopard, for example, or, if you prefer, Vista. WHEW. Had to tread water for a long time with Vista!

But, again, I can wait for a version that will not FC or cause conflicts with other apps.

fish