Has anyone gained access to the SMS/MMS Server Settings?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jaylor, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Jaylor

Jaylor New Member

I used to have a Samsung u740 before the Droid and found a post on the Howard Forums that let you gain access to the the SMS/MMS server settings via menus and passcodes on the phone and I'd love to be able to do it again!

The reason is that if you have access to the server settings you can set your SMS/MMS to go through another server besides Verizon's. Doing it actually uses 1mb of data per msg (both sending and receiving) so I stopped doing it on my u740 but it would be great on the Droid since we have unlimited data usage.

There are free SMS/MMS servers already online (Sadly I can't remember the one I was using off the top of my head) or, you can even set up a server on your own computer!!!

I'm paying $15 a month for TXT/SMS right now and really need to get my cell bill down a bit.. besides, Verizon charging for TXT with an unlimited data plan is just stupid and insane.. (And no, I don't care that TXTing actually goes across the Voice connection, it is STILL lame!)
  2. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I would be interested to see this, as well.

Have you tried using Google Voice for your SMS needs? It works pretty well, and the only thing it is lacking is push notifications.
  3. Jaylor

Jaylor New Member

Se7enLC, I've thought about using Google for SMS but I don't use them for voice right now so I would have to give everyone 2 numbers. One to call me and one to TXT me, which highly doubt people would like.

Oh, I also did some more searching last night, my u740 actually only was capable of doing MMS through another server. The server/site I was using is Welcome To Zaksenterprises! Sadly they don't have anything on the Wiki about using their service with the Droid.
  4. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

hate to burst your bubble but you would still be billed for incoming as they have to hit the vzw server due to the fact they go through your cell number

your best choice for this would be google voice and the second number
  5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Google Voice will also forward voice calls, and with the Droid, it's easy to set it up so that the calls you make have your Google Voice number as the Caller ID. I only give out my Google Voice number for everything, now.

The only downsides I've found:
    1). Making a call requires a data connection initially, due to poor coding on the part of Google. It should look for data service, and if data isn't found, it initiates the call by dialing the google voice number and making the call from there.
    2). Mobile-to-Mobile and in-network calling deals don't work. Google Voice isn't a Verizon number, so you no longer get free Vz-Vz calls.
    3). Google Voice doesn't do MMS - only Text.

I had the feeling it was too good to be true.
Search tags for this page
android sms settings

cricket mms server url

free mms server
go sms cricket settings
go sms pro cricket settings
go sms settings for verizon
mpt sms setting

verizon mms server url

verizon sms server url

verizon sms settings

what is cricket mms server url