Has anyone else noticed this????

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kamileon, Mar 12, 2010.

1. kamileon

kamileon New Member

So now that ive seen the new VZW commercial a few times for the Palm Pre, I noticed one of the selling points mentioned on the ad. It says it has an app to use the phone as a mobile hotspot supporting up to five computers. Now I thought with this you would have to add tethering to your account to use it, so I called VZW and after speaking to several different people in customer support they all said the same thing, you dont have to add tethering to your account to use the app, you will not incur any additional data charges from using the app beyond the unlimited data charge.

So my next train of thought is that since my Droid is rooted and I am using the wireless wifi app that I should have no fears of VZW coming after me for the data usage since I dont pay for tethering. Am I the only one who sees this or thinks this way?
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. Good point about the Palm Pre phone.
  3. Humpa

Humpa New Member

We have been discussing this since we first saw that ad.

What it comes down to is this: we've been tethering without paying for years on end. Verizon seems to care less and less with each passing year and each new phone. So what the Pre can do is something that most of us could care less about. It sure can't do what the Droid Does. :D
  4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Anyone know if there's a special pre plan? Kinda like the bb plan? Perhaps that feature is included in the price...? Either way, I haven't had any call for tethering yet, so I'm not concerned, and as stated above, droid still DOES way more...
  5. Humpa

Humpa New Member

There doesn't seem to be any special plan or anything. Apparently this is just VZW "opening up" a bit. Seeing as we all have been doing this for years, perhaps they are just trying to sell some extra Pre's, so decided to give them a bonus.
  6. Enter

Enter New Member

I think someone should step forward here and test this thing out. I regularly pass 5 gbs a month just without tethering, have someone on here try and pass 20, or even 40 gbs in a month. If he/she goes over, I would gladly donate to help them pay their bill.
  7. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Do you really have that kind of money, if verizon did go after you for that kind of usage it would be at $1.99/mb at 30gb $59,700
  8. Humpa

Humpa New Member

Tethering may be new to some people, but it is not new. We've been tethering for years and years. No need to start testing things now. ;)

Here's what you do. Just tether responsibly and you'll have no issues. I'd keep it under 5gb a month, but you can probably get away with 20gb or more for months on end - but maybe not. Verizon doesn't seem to be doing anything to "tetherers" anymore - I haven't even seen a post where something happened to someone because of tethering/data charges in a couple of years. But if you really need 40 or 50gb of data a month, perhaps you might want to look into paying for some sort of tethering service or getting a dedicated device (like an aircard or something) - though you'd have to find someone without a data cap.
  9. Enter

Enter New Member

I don't think they would screw you over like that because they would never see that money. I went over the 250 cap on Comcast, the first time they send you a letter, the second time they charge you $10 per gig that you are over. If it occurs 3 times in one year, your banned from their service for a full year.
  10. CoyG

CoyG New Member

I honestly don't think i could go over 20 gb even if I tried. I don't use the internet nearly enough for that.