Has anyone downloaded the newest Handcent

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
For a Free App that is as good as Handcent...The small ads is worth it.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So what, there's a small ad, the developer is one who deserves $$, it's the best messenger program for the Droid.

OP
M

Matth3w

So what, there's a small ad, the developer is one who deserves $$, it's the best messenger program for the Droid.
Oh I don't doubt that, it was just that people were making it sound like there were pages and pages of ads.

Frankly I would pay for each one of the apps I use. I rarely return apps either just in case I decide to go back and try it. I probably have 20 paid apps that I don't use.

The upside is the apps get re-downloaded automatically if they are paid when you restore...so I wish they would have a donate version of every program.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh I don't doubt that, it was just that people were making it sound like there were pages and pages of ads.

Frankly I would pay for each one of the apps I use. I rarely return apps either just in case I decide to go back and try it. I probably have 20 paid apps that I don't use.

The upside is the apps get re-downloaded automatically if they are paid when you restore...so I wish they would have a donate version of every program.
I agree, and there are some that are crap, but things like Handcent are deserving of a donation. Maybe they will develop a Handcent one w/o ads if we donate.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it got to the point where the developer felt they needed to put large, intrusive ads into Handcent, I'd rather just pay for the app. But as it stands, it's a small ad that's creating revenue for him and keeping it 'free' for users. Win Win in my book.

OP
M

Matth3w

All my major programs I would contribute at least 99 cents towards just to make it when I do the frequent data wipe that I do when I switch ROMs. The other day I must have installed all of my apps like 47 times.

And sadly no backup programs out there really work "great" imo...it's not much of an automated backup to click the app, hit install, hit ok, maybe have to hit ok to overwrite. In that time I might as well have just redownloaded them.

nphil

Reaction score
All my major programs I would contribute at least 99 cents towards just to make it when I do the frequent data wipe that I do when I switch ROMs. The other day I must have installed all of my apps like 47 times.

And sadly no backup programs out there really work "great" imo...it's not much of an automated backup to click the app, hit install, hit ok, maybe have to hit ok to overwrite. In that time I might as well have just redownloaded them.

I use titanium backup donate version for this, restores ALL my apps+app data with just one click. (No pressing install, done etc).

The dev is really nice and responsive too, I had some issues and he solved the problem for me real fast.

OP
M

Matth3w

Hmmm...I had titanium backup, I thought for sure I had to hit install every time.

lockman

Reaction score
BFD. AdFree works. Why do people get so worked up? Besides, this is the best message app, so even if AdFree didn't work, and it had a huge banner, we'd still use it.
But I'd kick in a buck either way for the dev, this app is worth it.

OP
M

Matth3w

BFD. AdFree works. Why do people get so worked up? Besides, this is the best message app, so even if AdFree didn't work, and it had a huge banner, we'd still use it.
I didn't say it was a BFD. I was just asking where the ads were because the people in the comments section of the app this morning made it sound like a BFD. Not sure if you were even directing this to me or not...

I use titanium backup donate version for this, restores ALL my apps+app data with just one click. (No pressing install, done etc).

The dev is really nice and responsive too, I had some issues and he solved the problem for me real fast.
What's odd is, I know I must be doing something wrong because I have busybox installed, obviously I am rooted, and yet it says it can't aquire root access and check to see if I have busybox installed. Just to make sure I had BB I installed DRH and followed the instructions under Menu and skipped to the install busy box and it said successful...so....

lockman

Reaction score
I didn't say it was a BFD. I was just asking where the ads were because the people in the comments section of the app this morning made it sound like a BFD. Not sure if you were even directing this to me or not...

Not at you, referring to the comments made in the app.

sherylhs

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread Matth3w. I saw those comments and was holding off on the upgrade as well. Guess it's safe to upload now.

This is definitely one of my must have apps.

:D

~Sheryl