Has Anyone been able to "Successfully" use Rom Manager with the S3?

Batman8

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to make a complete backup and then also restore it (with no issues) with Rom Manager on a U.S. Galaxy S3? Rom Manager used to be one of my favorites back in the past on my Droid 1, so I even bought the pro version, but I have had major issues while using it on other phones since then and completely lost faith in it. Now I am wondering if it is usable on Verizon's Galaxy S3? It would be nice to be able to make a complete backup of everything when it's working properly in case of problems later. It seems that Titanium Backup works o.k., but I've noticed TB cause problems on my S3 if I restore ANY of the stock applications with it. I've seen things like it corrupting settings to somehow changing the phone's internal I.D. number which can be a MAJOR problem for all the apps that I.D. your phone in order to pull the correct accounts and info. Using TB with the S3 was the first time that I have EVER seen an error in TB state that my device's I.D. number has changed, and I've used TB for years!!!

Twice my I.D. number got screwed up on my S3 after a TB restore, and the phone would no longer read/find ANY of my 1,500 mp3 files or ANY of my many video files with the stock apps. Clearing cache/data and even re-installing the apps did nothing to help either. The only way to get things back to normal was a factory data reset (which I absolutely HATE doing since it takes so long to get everything back to just the way I like them). This is why I would like to use Rom Manager if it works on the S3 now.

Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to once again do a FDR on this phone because I constantly keep getting the error..."unfortunately, settings has stopped" after deleting an app or going into settings to do things, which prevents me from even being able to really manage my apps anymore. I also wonder if I have issues because of restoring some of my apps that were from my previous phone (a Droid Bionic) since it is a PowerVR device and the S3 is Adreno...but who knows.

Anyway, please let me know if you are able to use Rom Manager on your U.S./dual-core S3 or have any suggestions. Thanks.

daniverse

Reaction score
New to the forum, but I think I can help..

Depends on which version of the GS3 you're pertaining to. I'm running on VZW and can use rom manager with no problems. I have successfully flashed CWM recovery, made nandroid backups and restored backups through rom manager. As a matter of fact, I was trying out the new Paranoid rom last night, but it was a little too buggy for me. So i restored to my previous backup. (I do all my backups in Rom Manager. That way I can rename them.) I tried restoring a nandroid backup through actual recovery before and it failed.. tried it again through rom manager and it worked like a charm!

I've heard a lot about TB not being compatible with select roms so I tend to stay away from it. But then again, I also don't mind changing all my settings again after a factory reset. lol

Hope this helps!

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the reply Daniverse! That is exactly the info that I need, basically a confirmation that RM actually works on the new S3. I too am on VZW's version so your reply is extremely helpful...so I guess I'll get started.