hardware variations

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by DanSan, Mar 15, 2010.

1. DanSan

DanSan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    my girlfriend just got a droid today..

the box is completely different than mine which was a long skinny one. i bought mine back in early december. hers was boxed in a short, wider box. first off her keyboard is now completely flat and mines bubbled. also her screen is a lot brighter than mine is and i had them both set to auto brightness. was holding hers right next to mine and mine looks washed out and dull while hers is really nice and bright.

kinda pissed, i like the more vibrant screen

oh and my search key on bottom row is white, the others are an off white..

anyone notice slight differences in droids as the build dates increase? 2 of my friends just got droids at work and im going to compare them to mine as well. also i would have never noticed these differences unless i hold them side by side

2. R1Lover

R1Lover Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    turn both screens on full bright manually and compare.

3. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Clean yours with a good screen/lens cleaner. You'd be surprised at how much crap collects on the screen that you can't see. And (as above) manually turn them both to full bright and disable any other display controls (like screebl). Also are you running a screen protector you forgot about (though actually some protectors make the screen look better, the Crystal one I have is like that).

As to the color of the soft keys there have been variations in the color of those and the keyboard back-lights since launch. Also there's not one light for each button, the lights (I'm assuming they're LEDs) are between the button so there is a slight variation even from one side of the search button to the other.

4. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are two different keyboards. One is flat and one is bubbled (lack of a better description). The Droid I carry id flat, while mf gilrfriend's Droid is bubbled. As far as the screen goes they are the same, but you aren't wrong. There is two different versions of the keyboard

5. baruch

baruch New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    keyboard versions???

interersting re: 2 different versions?? - my droid's build # is ESD56 (whatever that means?) & my keyboard "appears" to be ever-so-slightly raised. BUT if i were to describe as the above post, i guess it's mostly FLAT. not sure what "bubbled" means? but tend to think, "if" bubbled, keyboard would be a very tight fit when closed?????

6. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
  7. DanSan

DanSan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    on full brightness they look the exact same but when put on low brightness and then hit auto brightness hers is still a little brighter. mine looks a little dull and washed out. Screens were also just cleaned, i was eating popcorn and got them both a little dirty so i cleaned them.

I am rooted and have used the low brightness hack in the past but i doubt that setting stays after multiple reflashes right???

Also dont use any screen protectors.

8. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Switch her Droid with yours while she's sleeping.

9. DanSan

DanSan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hahah i was with her and i was pointing out all the differences. she then looks at me and goes, you want to switch? lol i was soo tempted but im like nooo babe.

shes not letting it leave her sight because she knows im dying to root it

10. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, we've had a few threads like this.

As far as the keyboards go, there seem to be those who have individual keys, and others (like me) who have one large stamped piece of plastic as their keyboard. I dont know if we've decided yet which one is the original design, but it seems that those with the single piece of plastic have better luck with keyboard wear and tear.