Hard Wired Micro USB power for the Droid

Discussion in 'Android Accessories' started by tommyz, Sep 27, 2010.

1. tommyz

tommyz Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Really nice looking system! But, Like you said a bit pricey. Well over $100 for a complete system.

The thing is I already have the mount for the Droid. I just need the power.

2. tommyz

tommyz Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I do like the fact that ProClip USA is about 30 miles north of where I live. I do like to support the local guys.

It's a nice looking system but $$.

3. bionic4.0

bionic4.0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a "half baked" install under my console for 4 years or better. Using a female 12 volt plug from radio shake and a 12 volt male to female usb. I also use a small Huston hub to plug up different devices at that same time and have never had a problem I have poured up my phone, an ipod touch,and a tomtom.

Hope this helps

4. tommyz

tommyz Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Thank you for the vote of confidence. It would still bother me to do it that way. I'm the type of person that solders and shrink tubes all my work. I don't use the quick-clips to tap into wires. I tie everything up nicely not with tape.

I just don't want to have something come un-done and have to take apart the dash a second time.

I would really like to use the ProClip system. It is a little bit costly. But, The other thing is you can remove it or hide it, when the car is parked. Just for security reasons I would rather not have any holders visible, while the car is park somewhere. My current holder is easily removed and stashed away after I park the car.

5. tdpolo26

tdpolo26 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    i know i am going to get flamed for this but bestbuy did mine for like 40 dollars and you need a car charger for the droid. If you have a nice newer car like me and you dont want to get it messed up because taking apart the dash can sometimes have hidden clips then pay to have it done

6. bionic4.0

bionic4.0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I heat shrink all splices and as stated ^ no problems. I have mine in a lowered show truck that is daily driven. So I have to have wires and mounts removable or hidden.

And since you are so anal about wiring you are probably one of those people that does all the maintenance on your car that is recomended and for that I thank you because you keep me with a job.

7. tommyz

tommyz Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Aren't you concerned about it unplugging itself from the hidden socket? Then again, you say it's your daily driver, so it must be secure.

8. mcatdtDroid

mcatdtDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    talk about walking 10 miles out of the way to avoid a pothole. :rolleyes:

9. trbasil

trbasil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why not take the garmin unit and a micro cable (monoprice has a 15' for $2.18) and make your own. With 15' to play with you would have plenty to make your splices near the box and keep them hidden inside the dash, and still be able to have the cable ran to wherever you need.

You could do the garmin micro cable conversion part of it in the comfort of your home, giving you the easiest way to make neat and reliable solder connections. It would also keep you from using a bulky mini to micro adapter and with monoprice's prices it would probably be a little cheaper than an adapter.

10. tommyz

tommyz Member

Ratings:
    +23
    There's a question as to whether the Garmin part will work with the Droid. My standard Cig Lighter Garmin adapter with a mini to micro USB cable doesn't work with the Droid. It doesn't charge or power the unit. It has something to do with the data wires not being connected in a standard way for charging.

11. trbasil

trbasil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The stock wall wart just shorts the data leads together, if you done that when splicing the micro cable onto the Garmin unit the phone should see the new charger like it is the stock one.

12. tommyz

tommyz Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Thank you,

That is very usefull information.

Search tags for this page

12v to micro usb

12v to usb hardwire

direct wire micro usb charger
hardwire car charger micro usb

hardwire micro usb car