Hard Wired Micro USB power for the Droid

tommyz

Reaction score
I am looking to install a hard wired micro USB in my car. Does anyone know of a hardwired solution that works with the Droid?

The only reason I ask is because I have had a couple of chargers that don't work with the Droid.

I'm NOT looking to hack apart a existing Cig Adapter. I want to get one that has the bare wires for the 12 volts already.

Thanks,

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Or, if you are a glutton for punishment, you could build your own circuit with this regulator:
3A Adjustable step down switching voltage regulator

You would need to mount it to a board, in an enclosure. Supply it with 12V, and set it to 5v out, with a female USB plug wired in on the output side of the regulator. Sounds like a lot more work than it is worth to me.

OP
tommyz

tommyz

Reaction score
You are going to need a voltage regulator to drop the voltage from 12-14.4V down to 5V if you want a hard wire solution. It will be cheaper (and easier) to hard wire a hidden cigarette plug in and use a usb adapter. like this:
Universal USB 12 Volt Adapter

Thanks but, I don't want to do a half baked installation. I want something that is going to last a long time and not fall apart in a few years.

I'm looking for something like this, but for micro-USB (Droid)
Hardwire Cable for Garmin Nuvi (Mini-USB connector) - Charger and Power Solutions

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for just a cable to connect on the Droid's end or a dock?

OP
tommyz

tommyz

Reaction score

I already have the Motorola Dock. I am just looking for the 12V to Micro USB adapter and cable that can be hardwired into the car. This way I will not have to tie up a (Cig) Power Outlet, since I almost always plug my Droid in while in Navigation Mode.

amn70

Reaction score

I already have the Motorola Dock. I am just looking for the 12V to Micro USB adapter and cable that can be hardwired into the car. This way I will not have to tie up a (Cig) Power Outlet, since I almost always plug my Droid in while in Navigation Mode.

Just go to radio shack and get a 12V cigarette lighter adapter. It comes with stripped ends to wire into the car and then just hide it under the dashboard and plug a regular microsub car adapter into that. It will be a neat and clean install without the hassle.

OP
tommyz

tommyz

Reaction score
Just go to radio shack and get a 12V cigarette lighter adapter. It comes with stripped ends to wire into the car and then just hide it under the dashboard and plug a regular microsub car adapter into that. It will be a neat and clean install without the hassle.

As I stated in a previous message. I don't want to do a half-baked installation. I want something that is going to be worry-free and last a long time.

I don't see this as being a reliable or 100% safe idea. Generally those adapters like a little air around them, not buried in a dashboard. Two, I can see the plug coming un-done and posing a electrical risk.

I know someone has a permanent bare wire adapter for Micro-USB. It's just a question as to whether it will work with the Droid.

OP
tommyz

tommyz

Reaction score
Use your garmin hardwire kit, and pick up a mini to micro usb adapter: USB Mini to Micro adapter from CoolDrives.com

The Garmin's output is 5V @ 1A, USB 2.0 standard is 5V @ 0.8A output. It will work.

Have you actually had this work? My Garmin Cig Lighter adapter will not work with the Droid, when using a mini to micro USB adapter. The Droid is funny(bad) like that.

The only other negative is bulking up the connector. My Droid sits real close to the gear shift lever, so I dont have much room on the left side of the droid for extra plugs.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use your garmin hardwire kit, and pick up a mini to micro usb adapter: USB Mini to Micro adapter from CoolDrives.com

The Garmin's output is 5V @ 1A, USB 2.0 standard is 5V @ 0.8A output. It will work.

Have you actually had this work? My Garmin Cig Lighter adapter will not work with the Droid, when using a mini to micro USB adapter. The Droid is funny(bad) like that.

The only other negative is bulking up the connector. My Droid sits real close to the gear shift lever, so I dont have much room on the left side of the droid for extra plugs.

Thanks for the suggestion.
No, I have 4 12V outlets, so I never need to worry about it.

check out proclipusa.com.. they have vehicle specific mounts for the droid that has a hardwired charger. its a bit pricey, but you are not gonna find a cleaner install. you just slide the phone in and it starts charging. you can get it with or without the magnet that puts the droid in car mode

ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts
Yeah, $108 +S&H is a little on the pricey side.

Last edited:
OP
tommyz

tommyz

Reaction score
check out proclipusa.com.. they have vehicle specific mounts for the droid that has a hardwired charger. its a bit pricey, but you are not gonna find a cleaner install. you just slide the phone in and it starts charging. you can get it with or without the magnet that puts the droid in car mode

ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts

Really nice looking system! But, Like you said a bit pricey. Well over $100 for a complete system.

The thing is I already have the mount for the Droid. I just need the power.

OP
tommyz

tommyz

Reaction score
I do like the fact that ProClip USA is about 30 miles north of where I live. I do like to support the local guys.

It's a nice looking system but $$.

bionic4.0

Reaction score
I have had a "half baked" install under my console for 4 years or better. Using a female 12 volt plug from radio shake and a 12 volt male to female usb. I also use a small Huston hub to plug up different devices at that same time and have never had a problem I have poured up my phone, an ipod touch,and a tomtom.

Hope this helps