Hard Reset

671droid

Reaction score
I'm forced to do a Hard Reset on my eris because the previous owner used his gmail and I cannot simply change the gmail account...
My questions are
1) Will I have to bring my droid to my carrier to reconnect service/internet after hard reset?
2) Should I remove my SD card before I hard reset?
3) What are the first few things I should do after the hard reset is complete?

Thank you for your time and knowledge...:greendroid:

namu1107

Reaction score
I'm forced to do a Hard Reset on my eris because the previous owner used his gmail and I cannot simply change the gmail account...
My questions are
1) Will I have to bring my droid to my carrier to reconnect service/internet after hard reset?
2) Should I remove my SD card before I hard reset?
3) What are the first few things I should do after the hard reset is complete?

Thank you for your time and knowledge...:greendroid:

1. No, you will not have to bring your droid to the carrier to reconnect your service, UNLESS, but small chance, something goes wrong with security code, which then you would have to call #8899 to get them to reset your security code. The reason for this is sometimes when you do reset your phone, something goes "wrong" and causes this small glitch. Nothing too hard to fix, just don't do your FR during hours that Tech Support isn't working!

2. You can keep your SD card in. FR don't affect the card at all, just the internal memory and schematics.

3. After the hard reset its going to ask you to reactivate your phone, and then resync with your google accout. So after the phone is back in working order, all you need to do is customize.

If its a brand new phone for you, and you don't have any preferences set or information on the phone, then your good to go. If it does, make sure you BACK UP BACK UP AND BACK UP.

A factory reset, IMO, is something that most phones should do. If by chance the phone is running 1.5, I would install the 2.1 and then do a FR. Reason being is because it seems that if you do a FR it will take out most, not all, of the glitches experienced in 2.1... with the exception of the silent bug.

Djay

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to do a hard reset on the Vortex? Not the internal way

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a Droid and no experience with the Vortex so my thoughts may be off. Check the settings for phone, data, security. etc.

Djay

Reaction score
yea you can do it that way, but im talking about the way with the phone off.

I just found out how though so we're good

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would you mind sharing the solution so that others who have the same phone and issue will know?

Djay

Reaction score
Option 1 – Using the Android OS menus
If you can access the menus, you can perform a hard reset from within the Android OS software.
1. From the Home screen, press Menu.
2. Tap the Settings button.
3. Select Privacy.
4. Tap the Factory data reset option.
5. Select Reset.
6. Tap Erase everything.
The LG Vortex will then hard reset and may take a few minutes to complete.
Option 2 – Using the hardware buttons
If the LG Vortex is frozen or unresponsive and you can’t access the menus within the Android OS to perform a hard reset, you will need to use this option that utilizes the hardware buttons on the device.
1. Power the phone off. If it won’t turn off, pull the battery from the device.
2. Press and hold Volume Down, Home, and the Power buttons simultaneously.
3. Wait for about 10 seconds until the the screen lights up and the phone starts to boot, then release all three buttons.
The LG Vortex will then go through the hard reset process. Wait a few minutes and the phone should reset with factory default settings and data loaded into memory.
SD Card Format
In cases where you don’t want items remaining on the SD card, you can either swap the SD card with another and keep the one with your data on it, or you can format it:
1. From the Home screen, tap Menu.
2. Select Settings.
3. Select SD card & phone storage.
4. Tap Unmount SD card.
5. Tap Format SD card.
6. Select Erase Everything.
The SD card will then be formatted.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and glad you figured it out.

Mickey12gauge

Reaction score
Option 1 – Using the Android OS menus
If you can access the menus, you can perform a hard reset from within the Android OS software.
1. From the Home screen, press Menu.
2. Tap the Settings button.
3. Select Privacy.
4. Tap the Factory data reset option.
5. Select Reset.
6. Tap Erase everything.
The LG Vortex will then hard reset and may take a few minutes to complete.
Option 2 – Using the hardware buttons
If the LG Vortex is frozen or unresponsive and you can’t access the menus within the Android OS to perform a hard reset, you will need to use this option that utilizes the hardware buttons on the device.
1. Power the phone off. If it won’t turn off, pull the battery from the device.
2. Press and hold Volume Down, Home, and the Power buttons simultaneously.
3. Wait for about 10 seconds until the the screen lights up and the phone starts to boot, then release all three buttons.
The LG Vortex will then go through the hard reset process. Wait a few minutes and the phone should reset with factory default settings and data loaded into memory.
SD Card Format
In cases where you don’t want items remaining on the SD card, you can either swap the SD card with another and keep the one with your data on it, or you can format it:
1. From the Home screen, tap Menu.
2. Select Settings.
3. Select SD card & phone storage.
4. Tap Unmount SD card.
5. Tap Format SD card.
6. Select Erase Everything.
The SD card will then be formatted.

Thank you! Great work on this. I like option 2.

Last edited: