Hard reset=factory reset?

Jaeger

Reaction score
I stopped by the local Verizon outlet today to take a look at a Razr. The salesman stated that he didn't care for the phone because it didn't have a removable battery. We discussed that briefly and in the course of that discussion he told me that the hard reset feature on the Razr (power+vol. down) would not only power down the phone but would also do a factory reset and delete all user data.

Now, this didn't sound right to me but I figured I'd throw it out here and make sure. Any truth to this or is this the BS I think it is?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its BS or he doesnt actually know what it does. I have done it a few times to see something. I was charging my phone and it wasnt resetting the usage time. That didnt help, I think I had to charge it to 100% for it to reset. Havent lost any user data.

steelman52

Reaction score
The power button + down volumn is the same as a battery pull. Has nothing to do with factory reset, which has to be done in setting, privacy. The Verizon sales clerk wears a "name tag" right?!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Deron

Reaction score
Power + Volume down is used to reboot the phone in the "unlikely event" that the phone becomes unresponsive, according to the Droid Razr's manual. This is not a factory reset. Doing this hard reboot will not erase anything on your phone. To do a factory reset and erase all the stuff on the phone, you go to a sub-menu in the settings menu.

I have not had to use the Power + Volume down maneuver on my Razr, although it has spontaneously rebooted itself twice since I got the phone on release day. My Droid X spontaneously rebooted itself as well about once a week.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
It's just so ridiculous. Sure, Moto designed a phone that factory resets everything if you hold down two of the buttons...

Verizon store reps, you've done it again! And you keep doing it, day in day out. Really amazing. You're a breed apart...

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
It's just so ridiculous. Sure, Moto designed a phone that factory resets everything if you hold down two of the buttons...

Verizon store reps, you've done it again! And you keep doing it, day in day out. Really amazing. You're a breed apart...

Actually the two button press and holds do a 'soft reset' not a 'factory reset'.