hard bricked droid razr m

cisz

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid razr m
I've got a droid razr m xt907. Recently it suddenly wouldn't boot. I tried flashing it using house of moto. At that point I didn't realize that it was an xt907 - I only knew it as a droid razr m. Unfortunately, the instructions for the house of moto said that if you have an xt907 you have to overwrite files in the tools folder with other files (that they supplied). I din't do that and now the phone will only go to fastboot.

When I try to flash it with the latest kitkat (15.1) using rsdlite, it gives the error that it failed on gpt.bin

Almost everyone tells me there's no way to fix it.

Would appreciate if anyone knows a way.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The good news is that it's not hard bricked because it's powering on. It's only hard bricked when the device will no longer power on.

Secondly, you should probably address this issue with XDA. While we have basic Android experience here, they are more device specific and could further assist you.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
SCH-I545 Galaxy S4 (Verizon)
It sounds like your using Windows 8 or 10. I have found that RsdLite does not like these operating systems as well as you REALLY need to make sure that your running as administrator. If you have the full XML, I might be able to help you out! :)

P.S. The best thing is to perform this operation on Windows 7. Message me on hangouts or here and I can try to help

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
C

cisz

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid razr m
Thanks.

I've got windows 7 pro x64

I don't mind talking here. I have a thread at xda (hard bricked help) and had been talking to the people at droidrzr.com who developed the House of Moto.

I will try flashing from the admin account.

OP
C

cisz

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid razr m
Tried flashing from the admin account using rsdlite. It gave the same message -- "failed flashing gpt.bin"

OP
C

cisz

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid razr m
The rsd version is 6.2.4. My understanding is that if you have the 15.1 version of kitkat that you can't downgrade to jellybean or you get a bricked phone. I'm pretty sure I had the 15.1 version cause I think the phone was updating automatically.

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
First..make sure you install the newest Moto helper for your device:

http://www.motorola.com/getmdmwin

Then download this image file:

http://firmware.center/firmware/Mot...VZW_XT907_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_CFC_1FF.xml.zip

NOW...click on the downloaded.zip file and select properties. Then look in the bottom of the window to "UNBLOCK" the file. Hit apply, then "OK"

Right-Click on the .zip file, then select extract files.

NOW, make sure your running RsdLite as an Administrator:

(Just Right-Click on the RsdLite Program, then select "Run as Administrator") [A Window should pop up asking to allow the action.]

Then select the "image file.xml"

I think you know the rest of this! :)

OP
C

cisz

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid razr m
First..make sure you install the newest Moto helper for your device:

http://www.motorola.com/getmdmwin

Then download this image file:

http://firmware.center/firmware/Motorola/Droid RAZR M (XT907)/Stock/VZW_XT907_4.4.2-KDA20.62-15.1_CFC_1FF.xml.zip

NOW...click on the downloaded.zip file and select properties. Then look in the bottom of the window to "UNBLOCK" the file. Hit apply, then "OK"

Right-Click on the .zip file, then select extract files.

NOW, make sure your running RsdLite as an Administrator:

(Just Right-Click on the RsdLite Program, then select "Run as Administrator") [A Window should pop up asking to allow the action.]

Then select the "image file.xml"

I think you know the rest of this! :)

Thanks == but I'm still getting the same error -- "failed to flash gpt.bin"

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Try uninstalling the RSDLite, and download the 6.1.5 version and install. I think it doesn't like your older device. Then try flashing again with that package

OP
C

cisz

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid razr m
Try uninstalling the RSDLite, and download the 6.1.5 version and install. I think it doesn't like your older device. Then try flashing again with that package

The 6.1.5 version of rsdlite is saying "failed flashing process - unknown fastboot command"

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Last edited:
OP
C

cisz

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid razr m
What did the error say in the screen of the device? Also, your booting the device into AP fastboot right?

Maybe try following these directions...

Restore Droid RAZR M (XT907) to stock factory firmware and Unroot it | AndroMods

I'm not exactly booting into fastboot -- that's the only thing that the phone will go to. It doesn't go to it from a menu. I'm not sure how it gets there. When I plug the phone into the factory cable it shows a green light and the computer gives a "connected" sound. The green light goes out and I usually press and hold the sound up and down with the power button until the green light goes on again. The fastboot screen eventually comes up even if I don't do that.

I tried flashing with the instructions for your link. After removing the "get var", "var" and "oem" lines from the rom, rsd lite 6.1.5 and 6.1.5 no longer gave the "unknown fastboot command" error but went back to the "failed to flash gpt.bin".

I'm wondering if there's some way to erase everything and completely reformat the whole phone. There has to be something on it that's preventing it from being flashed.

Last edited:

KaosMaster

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Oh! Can you post a picture of the screen of the device when you turn it on?

OP
C

cisz

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
droid razr m
It's the normal AP fastboot screen. I get the same screen on another droid razr m when I press the up and down volume plus power and then go to fastboot in the menu.

This is what it says:

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S)
10.9B(#) (sha-61146a2, 2014-07-29 06:20:44)
eMMC info: Size 8GB

Device is LOCKED Status Code:0

Battery OK

Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

failed to write partition gpt_main
failed to load GPT
CID Read Failure
Invalid CID status 0x69
No SP partition found
Fastboot Reason: Invalid GPT