Happy with battery life, now

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Se7enLC, May 12, 2010.

1. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the battery life issues I was having were entirely the fault of SetCPU version 1.5.2

I'm currently getting between 2 and 4 hours per 10% drop in battery. It was at 60% from 1:12am to 5:27am (standby). 15 hours 53 minutes since I unplugged it, and I'm only down to 40%

My setup:
    - 800Mhz LV kernel
    - deleted /system/xbin/pete
    - installed SetCPU 1.5.1a and set for max of 800, min of 250

For what it's worth, the frequency scaling options I used are the same as the /system/xbin/pete file would have set them to, but I wanted control using SetCPU and didn't want the task killing on boot that /system/xbin/pete does.

I am *still* having issues with the CPU not going below 500Mhz on a fresh reboot, but it seems that after some time it is able to. Not sure yet why this is.

As a side note - does anybody know what CALLS /system/xbin/pete? I can't find any reference to it anywhere - is it hard-coded in the kernel somewhere? I assumed it would just be appended to some other init script or something, but I couldn't find it.

2. searayman

searayman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    whats your total battery life on a charge?

3. utkanos

utkanos Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1.5.2 caused major battery issues for me as well, not using BB though.

4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dunno, yet. I haven't really done an end-to-end test - and I haven't really been keeping close track of the parameters of the experiment, either (signal level, amount of use, time spent on phone calls, etc). I probably won't be doing a full test anytime soon, either, since I need my phone to be charged so I can use it and rely on it :)

When I first installed BBv1.0, the battery life was just awful - dropping 10% segments in well under an hour. I didn't need to wait for it to die completely to realize that something was wrong, so it's at least much better than that, now.

I'm at 17.5 hours at the moment, and still at 40%.

I should note again, that the way I have it set up is functionally VERY similar to the default BB. I'm using SetCPU to set my min/max frequency, but it's set to be the same thing that the /system/xbin/pete file would be setting it to.

5. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Bump/suscribe for an answer to the question on when/where "Pete" is triggered. I did not check on my original V1 install, but after flashing a few kernels it does not appear the pete script is running on my phone. After booting, checking with astro and my mem manager program, most of the programs listed to kill are still loading into memory. Granted they are just sitting and doing nothing cpu wise, still inquiring minds would like to know.

And I too can confirm that it looks like the latest setcpu seems to either be running better in terms of battery use, or is at least not conflicting with the newer OC kernel tweaks that Pete appears to have integrated.

Craig

6. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What does this do?

- deleted /system/xbin/pete

7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The pete script does a bunch of hard-coded initialization on boot, such as setting your max/min cpu speed, free memory settings, and killing a bunch of background system tasks that pete decided we don't need. I decided I was happier without it.

8. microsnook

microsnook Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I should switch back to 1.5.1, my battery life isnt doing so well in CM.

You have a link for it?

9. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    search xda for "setcpu", it should come right up and have links to all the previous versions

10. utkanos

utkanos Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. microsnook

microsnook Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
  12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't say that downgrading SetCPU to version 1.5.1 *improves* battery life so much as keeping version 1.5.2 *destroys* battery life. 1.5.1 isn't any marked improvement over previous versions or even compared to not running it at all - it's just that 1.5.2 has some sort of bug that eats CPU time, and thus battery life.