1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Happy and disappointment after rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by thinkmega, Jul 7, 2010.

1. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

I updated my phone with 2.2 last night. Things went well after a rocky start (thanks for all came to my rescue). First, let me provide some background of this update:

I follow exactly outlined in http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...royo-step-step-installation-2.html#post528613. The build I use is P3D-FRF84B-Release.zip.

1. wifi-tether is working well;
    2. all apps except one (CallTrack) showed up automatically. I re-download CallTrack manually from the market.
    3. Adobe flash is working while the videos I pick from hulu's website returned with a message saying it's not available at the site. I dont know what caused it. However, I can watch videos from cnbc so I think flash is working.
    4. tried usb tethering but unable to make it work. Do I have to check "Application"->"Development"->"USB Debugging" prior to connecting the wire? I didn't do that when testing. My PC was looking for A855 driver, even the motorola 4.6 is installed. It said it couldn't find it, that was the end of the test.
    5. Here is one BIG disappointment: there is no gmail account switching when composing message. This feature would be useful for those having multiple gmails. When composing a message, gmail app would automatically go back to the one you used last time. What if I want to use a different gmail? You need to go back, select a different account, and start composing. Two extra steps as I see it. There was an article in June saying 2.2 would allow switching on the message composing screen.
    the droid geek [dot] com: Android 2.2 Features - Whats New. I think it's cool and a reasonable improvement. When I tried it this morning, I can't see it is there.

That's where I am in regards to the update. Speed is better. It does make a difference and I like that.

Thanks!
  2. 7h3.4pp12en7ic3

7h3.4pp12en7ic3 New Member

3. Hulu has put a fix in to try to prevent us from using their site on our phones, AFAIK there isn't yet a fix to this issue, but it's a Hulu issue, not Froyo or Flash
    4. IDK, but I always enable USB Debugging, I had no issues with USB Tethering though.
    5. I'm not sure about this one, I only use one gmail account, but note that not all features from the Final version of Froyo are in the ROMs just yet.

Good Luck, and let us know if you have any other issues!
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

2) Was caltrack installed from the market originally?
    4) USB tether needs PDANet installed
    5) Gmail had a dropdown now (2.2) when you compose a message. allows you to switch...
  4. pc747

pc747 Administrator Staff Member

I like 2.2 it made my phone faster. And if I really needed to see hulu that bad, well thats what easy tethery is for.......but i do not watch hulu that much. I would prefer watchung videos on my laptop...and most hulu videos are old anyway.
  5. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

caltrack was part of my original installation, and it "missed" the automatic download and I had to download it manually. But it was no big deal.

Can you please shed more lights on USB tethering solution? I later installed PDANet too but it still didn't work. I mean, I used the wired_tether_1_2.apk fhttp://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload/Wired-Tether-Download-88171.html, it was the same... What wired_tether app do you use on your phone?

Other than that, everything works very well. During my research on go-or-not-go, I discounted the speed improvement as cosmetic. Well, it's a nice improvement, it really makes the whole user experience much better.

Thank you all for sharing the experiences here. By the way, I tested the go-nonroot-stock route too. It works perfectly. I dont think I would go back though.
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

PDAnet works with no issues on my 2.2
    I use the wireless tether that is in the market, zero issues with that also.
  7. ci2019

ci2019 New Member

I'm a little confused here. One of the first things a tried out when I went Bugless on Froyo was the tethering. It worked without PDAnet. I've never had PDAnet installed on my phone or otherwise.

Did I just get lucky or something?

Wireless tether works flawlessly as well with my laptop. No luck connecting my kids' iPod Touches though.
  8. rcfx

rcfx New Member

I have not needed any other programs for usb tethering on any of the 4 froyo roms I've been on. Should work fine out of the box.
  9. Rated_R

Rated_R New Member

FroYo does indeed allow account switching. Open gmail and look just below your taskbar you should see you email addy in a box. Click that and it will take you to a choose account screen.
  10. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

That's not new. It has been that way at least since 2.1. What I am talking about is that ... let's say you want to share a piece of info on twitter using gmail. So the message window is up, by default you are in the gmail account you last visited. If it happens that is NOT the account you want to use, you would have to exit all the way out, select the right account, go back to twitter, for instance, re-do the news sharing ....

The alternative would be ... when you compose the message, you have a drop down list so you can select which account this message will be sent from.

I don't think this feature is included in the P3D-release. Luckily I dont or will avoid forward twitter messages. :)
  11. droijo

droijo New Member

That is one gripe I stumbled upon in 2.2 also. Did this used to work in 2.1? I just got over it eventually as I do email alot of pictures so it is definitely a great addition if possible. However, not a bid deal. I'd learn to just go the the Gmail app and go from there, allows me to attach more than one as opposed to the other way around.
  12. 7h3.4pp12en7ic3

7h3.4pp12en7ic3 New Member

I know for a fact PDANet is not required to USB tether on Froyo. Plug the phone in, got to Settings>Wireless and Networks>Tethering>USB tethering. Done. However, you do need the USB already plugged in before you can check the box.
  13. thinkmega

thinkmega New Member

I was wrong!

Another reason to learn how to balance being patient and being decisive.

The gmail feature shows up this morning. So ... even I had the app (after 2.2), it may not get updated until sometime later.

First, I notice it when I get into gmail. I see a push-button like with my gmail account name shown next to "inbox" at the top of the screen. I tapped that and I was brought to the screen showing my multiple gmail accounts. To confirm I can do the switch from twitter. I repeated what I had tried yesterday and it works! Pretty much like what's mentioned in the review I referred to in my original post.

This is what I observe:

1. The algorithm for apps update remains a mystery. On my phone #3, I started the process (of flashing 2.2/root) from 2.01 -> 2.1 -> apps installation -> sprecovery -> 2.2 ROM flashing. Guess what, apps installed after 2.1, few of them showed up after 2.2 was installed. I had waited for three hours or so until I manually picked them up from the market. It wasn't the case in my phone #1 and #2. The differences could be many things but apps on #1 were backed up using Astro file manager before. I suspect ... the market app looks at the SD card to determine what apps should be download "silently". As #3 was a fresh build while apps were installed, they were not backed up. So market app didn't react ... ?

2. Even for phone #1 most of the apps were in place after having 2.2/root, it doesn't mean they are all 2.2 compliant. This gmail feature update is one example. It takes sometime to sync up.

So far, I am happy with 2.2. Everything I used works well, plus additional features. Acrobat flash is a new territory. Some did well while a few failed to deliver good quality. I think it is the results of many things combined. I remain optimistic about this Android environment. I think it is on the right path.