Handy Tip: Developer Options are Hidden in Android 4.2; Here's a Method to Find Them

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
developer-options-android42.png

Our friends over at AndroidPolice did a cool thing. They reminded us that the developer options in the new Android 4.2 are actually hidden, and they shared the method to find them. These methods have been posted before, but some useful bits bear repeating. Here's the skinny,

Anyway, to access the Developer Options menu, and things like USB debugging, just do the following:
  • Open the Settings menu
  • Go down to the "System" sub-section of the settings menu at the bottom
  • Hit "About Phone [or Tablet]"
  • At or near the bottom, you should see the "Build number" header
  • Tap this area about 10 times, and the Developer Options menu should appear
Of course, Google intentionally made it hard to get here, because they didn't want the average user monkeying around with stuff that could cause issues with device, so keep this in mind. Make sure you head to the forums for any assistance in tinkering around with these settings. Be careful and have fun!

Source: Android Police

mumblemouth1

Reaction score
similiar thing i found with 4.1.1 a while back too

if you hit the 4.1.1 version you get a hidden jelly bean screen saver.

fixed1t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone
Hi,

I stumbled across this cat looking at the new Android Studio.. I thought it was a music app

then just after I made the video I discovered the cat changed colour and shape

No idea why somebody would spend time doing this, it was obviously a simple distraction from the awful working conditions at Google (being forced to play ping-pong and computer games - geez its tough). I posted them on youtube to see if anybody had found more, but nobody replied.

fixed1t

developer-options-android42.png

Of course, Google intentionally made it hard to get here, because they didn't want the average user monkeying around with stuff that could cause issues with device, so keep this in mind. Make sure you head to the forums for any assistance in tinkering around with these settings. Be careful and have fun!

Source: Android Police

fixed1t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iphone
Why did you bump a two year old thread? Lol
LOL I've only just started using the 2012 Nexus 7, so it was new to me and upgrading to kitkat 4.4.4 i spotted the cats :) Sorry