Handscent - Read This I need Help

micp1480

Reaction score
I have been in a brutal divorce, and currently my ex-wife has been harassing me. I want to file harassment charges, and wanted to save her text messages that I have been getting on handscent as evidence. When I sent her a new text message about picking up my kids, it blended the picking up sms with her harassment sms message, and yet I closed the the harassment one out, and clicked on compose for the second one. In simple terms, I wanted to isolated messages, but handscent failed to do this, and now I am left with scramble eggs. OMG! has anyone else encountered this with this program?

Here is something you can do to see what I am talking about. Send your self a text message, and then close it out. Next, send an another text message to your self and watch the first message and the second one combine automatically, this is annoying when you want your text messages to the same person to be individualized.

MICP1480

Sp3aK

Reaction score
Well I'm sorry this situation brought up this situation. To my knowledge this can't be done with the default messaging application or with Handcent. It will automatically turn the texts into threads or "conversations". They will appear more like a instant message chat window. You can select each text individually and delete it (scroll to the one you want and do a long press on it to bring up a menu).

Someone with a different messaging app could chime in but I'm just not sure that anyone is doing it that way (I'm sure with the Android OS it CAN be done though).

If you contact Verizon for the phone records to get actual printouts of the texts they will all show up individually (I would assume).

I wish you the best with your situation!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Verizon can give you a detailed print out of EVERY text. That's always an option.
Also SMS backup is another option and from what I've heard works well.

DroidFan

Reaction score
I'll also suggest SMS Backup. It's a great way to "protect" your messages while you go through this sticky mess...

Good luck to you.

jbsangel

Reaction score
Even though the application shows the messages as one "thread" or conversation, they are still separate individual messages that can be backed up using any number of sms backup programs on the market, forwarded individually, or text copied and pasted.

If you are looking for something to hold up in court, it would be in your best interest to do the full report that Verizon can provide.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Even though the application shows the messages as one "thread" or conversation, they are still separate individual messages that can be backed up using any number of sms backup programs on the market, forwarded individually, or text copied and pasted.

If you are looking for something to hold up in court, it would be in your best interest to do the full report that Verizon can provide.

+1 to using the VZW report in court. It will eliminate any chance of you being accused of tampering with the texts.

OP
M

micp1480

Reaction score
I like to say thank you to everyone for you wonderful suggestions. I am going to utilize every suggestion that was made here. Thank you once again.

MICP1480

iLollar

Reaction score
Well I'm sorry this situation brought up this situation. To my knowledge this can't be done with the default messaging application or with Handcent. It will automatically turn the texts into threads or "conversations". They will appear more like a instant message chat window. You can select each text individually and delete it (scroll to the one you want and do a long press on it to bring up a menu).

Someone with a different messaging app could chime in but I'm just not sure that anyone is doing it that way (I'm sure with the Android OS it CAN be done though).

If you contact Verizon for the phone records to get actual printouts of the texts they will all show up individually (I would assume).

I wish you the best with your situation!
Nope thats a breach of confidenciality (sp?) and they wont show it. However i thought that if you had a droid you had to have a google account and i know from there you can have the messages sent to your google email and there they will be saved.

jbsangel

Reaction score
Nope thats a breach of confidenciality (sp?) and they wont show it.
Hmm, that's odd. My brother has done this for his kids before. Do you have a link or something you can provide for the OP? It would be good for him to know his options.

TimChgo9

Reaction score
As far as I know, it is not a breach of confidentiality for the court to order the transcripts of the messages. If he wishes to file harassment charges, the State's Attorney's office can subpoena transcripts of those messages. Now, if he wishes to use those in a custody matter at one point or another, I am not sure how to go about getting them..

I feel ya, I have been through the brutal divorce. They aren't pretty, it's not fun, and the real losers are the children. Mine was 17 years ago... just ask my children how much fun it was for them..... I wish you well, and I hope all goes well, and by all means, protect those kids....

iLollar

Reaction score
Nope thats a breach of confidenciality (sp?) and they wont show it.
Hmm, that's odd. My brother has done this for his kids before. Do you have a link or something you can provide for the OP? It would be good for him to know his options.
Yeah... his kids... on HIS plan. Verizon will not give you messages unless you provide a lawyer to prove you need these messages for say a court case or something.

OP
M

micp1480

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your support. I downloaded SMS backup as suggested, and it not only did it save my text messages, but it printed them is such a format that it was crystal clear who said what, and the date and time as well. Thank you again everyone for your suggestions and support.

MICP1480

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not to burst a bubble, but what was saved using SMS backup would not hold up as evidence in a court of law. A judge or lawyer could secure a subpoena and call VZW and they can secure the actual text messages, that would stand up as evidence. That's the only way - lawyer or judge with the actual subpoena number and they would call VZW to get the documents.

jbsangel

Reaction score
Yeah... his kids... on HIS plan. Verizon will not give you messages unless you provide a lawyer to prove you need these messages for say a court case or something.

Right but that is what the OP is talking about. HIS messages that HE received on HIS phone on HIS plan.