Handscent is driving me CRAZY!

micp1480

Reaction score
I have written this before, I like all the features that Handscent has to offer, but I hate having all my text messages from one person all combined into one. I don't know if I making myself clear, so I am going to walk everyone through my frustration.

I send a text message to Paul in regards to a certain issue. Fantastic, no problems.

Later in the day I want to send Paul an another text message, but with a different issue. Now, if I didn't delete the first text message with Paul earlier in the day, my second message with something completely different , gets combined into my first message. Why can't it just be isolated messages, and not this on going and best described as, a chat line effect. Is there an option to have it that messages are all individualized?

MICP1480

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:icon_eek: i'd stick to email if i were you. i dont' think it would erase on his end even if you could. actually maybe his doesn't show as "chat"

BzB

Reaction score
your issue is not unique to handcent. even the standard sms application on the droid does it this way. it's called threaded messaging and pretty much every new smartphone and every messaging application handles sms messages like this.

why is having all your messages with one contact grouped in one view a problem? it makes it easy to see all the messages you've exchanged with that person.

there are sms backup applications that allow you to pull your messages of f the phone and slice and dice them however you want...if that's what you're trying to do.

OP
M

micp1480

Reaction score
BzB, excuse for sounding stupid, but I am completely new to all this, so when for example, I send my friend Barbara text messages through out the day, she is getting that message I sent her, and not 33 messages I have sent her earlier? Gee! I hope not, she will never talk to me again.

MICP1480

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
BzB, excuse for sounding stupid, but I am completely new to all this, so when for example, I send my friend Barbara text messages through out the day, she is getting that message I sent her, and not 33 messages I have sent her earlier? Gee! I hope not, she will never talk to me again.

MICP1480
no she is not getting the 33 previous sms's seperately: )

If her SMS is threaded (like the Droid) it's handled the same. If not she is just getting the most current from you.

BzB

Reaction score
^ exactly. the person on the receiving end only gets the most current message you sent. the messaging application (in this case handcent) just keeps an ongoing history of messages that were exchanged, but it does not resend all the messages that are shown in the view.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
heh, there should be an option to disable threaded tho, some people just dont like it.. i had my manager ask me to disable it on her bb and couldnt...

i like it.. beats having a inbox full of txt from one person.. thats for sure.

neemo6

Reaction score
Almost all newer pda/smartphones have this type of messaging. BB's, winmo's w/ 6.1, and now androids. Personally I like the threaded style, most of the folks who dont like it seem to be coming from your standard type phone.

Silver Member
Reaction score
message threading/history is how most if not all phones work these days. if you don't like it, delete the messages when you're through with them.

but as other people have pointed out, it's just a history. you're not bringing up an old conversation. you're not resending the conversation. the conversation picks up from your most recent message.

SGTiger

Reaction score
I cannot imagine NOT having threaded messaging. It is a nightmare to go back and find specific messages when the messages aren't grouped by contact. I had to endure non-threaded texting with my old phone. Nightmare.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here's a spin on it if I'm understanding it correctly. If the other person replies to a text from you, it'll come in under a thread that already exists. But if they text you by picking you out of their contacts as if they are starting the conversation, then you should get a new thread start. Likewise if you start a new conversation, when they reply, it not in an existing thread.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but after reading this thread, I believe that's what I've noticed with my phone.

SGTiger

Reaction score
Here's a spin on it if I'm understanding it correctly. If the other person replies to a text from you, it'll come in under a thread that already exists. But if they text you by picking you out of their contacts as if they are starting the conversation, then you should get a new thread start. Likewise if you start a new conversation, when they reply, it not in an existing thread.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but after reading this thread, I believe that's what I've noticed with my phone.

All texts with a specific contact is in one thread. Only way a contact is in two separate threads is if you are texting or receiving texts with a contact who is using more than one cell phone or other device to text.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

this is how it works.

EVERY TEXT SENT TO JOHN SMITH gets put into "JOHN SMITH" thread. you will have 1 thread per contact and EVERY text to and from will be stored in that "THREAD"

I just sent a NEW text from my wife's phone to my phone and when I received my POP UP from handcent it was a single text pop up, but when I exited to the thread view and oped it up I had her NEW text in the same thread with all the others

-=Jason=-
-=Jason=-

Beavis2000

Reaction score
I also dislike the threaded view... I belive someone also said that people that don;t like threaded view are coming from non-smart phone.. that is me.. I prefer the old school inbox, sent, etc view like on a nonsmart phone. I just wish I was smart enough to create an app to "fix" my txt messages.