Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
You said he was using Wifi, why would it be searching for 4G LTE while it was on wifi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerG
Does the 4G radio turn off when you're using WiFi though?

The 4g radio appears to be and stay connected while on wifi, just like my last several 3g phones appeared to do.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know my 3G turns off when I'm on WIFI on my original Droid. Just tested it now.

This guy may have the Bionic, but he doesn't appear to be knowledgeable about devices.

He also received the Bionic because he sent them a complaint letter.

tcayton49

Reaction score
You said he was using Wifi, why would it be searching for 4G LTE while it was on wifi?

In case the Wifi signal is disrupted. It needs to make sure to have a continuous connection if one source is disrupted.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm the D3 does keep it's 3G signal on while on WIFI and that cell stand by takes up the majority of it's battery usage? Would be nice to have factual information.

Last edited:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
In the video it does show the 4G LTE signal while on WIFI on his Bionic, but I find that since it's killing the battery, wouldn't it be advisable to have that automatically disabled when WIFI is on?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is why the people who are waiting need to wait for reviews from the people who are getting it Day 1. Everyone seems to be in a buzz over these last minute details.

portermac

Reaction score
Who here gets more than 6hrs of constant use. I know my d1 doesn't get anything close to that and neither does my wives thunderbolt. Seems like some of you are just looking for something to complain about. Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
About searching for a signal...

Dosnt the same thing happen on 3G? At work my Droid X1 barely makes it 8 hours, sometime it doesnt, with me barely using it. At my girlfriends house it can go 24 hours with moderate use. (Actually went 29 hours doing a battery test) Searching for a signal is a hidden battery killer for 3G that some ppl dont realize.

Is there something different I'm missing here about Cell Standby? I really wanna know if I am.

And on my Droid 1 and DX1 3G disconnects when using Wifi. So it actually could be a bug if its still connected to 4G while on Wifi.

Tegamal

Reaction score
My D1 will die within 6 hours of moderate usage at work. By Moderate, I mean facebook/twitter checks maybe twice an hour each, maybe 20 texts back & forth, some web browsing on my lunch hour, maybe a youtube video or two.

If I can do heavy use with 6 hours+, my basic usage should easily get me through the workday! dancedroid

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also leave my Wi-Fi almost all the time, but I have no access point at work. I know that'll kill the battery some, but in my experience, it wasn't a substantial enough amount to bother with.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you, the voice of reason.

There are too many people on here who are completely obsessed. I am buying it on day one.

Who here gets more than 6hrs of constant use. I know my d1 doesn't get anything close to that and neither does my wives thunderbolt. Seems like some of you are just looking for something to complain about. Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's similar to my D1. Checking email, texting, reading news. Unless I charge it it's dead within a few hours. If I do some talking on it then it really drains.

6 Hours of heavy use? When will I have time to be on my smartphone for 6 full hours?

My D1 will die within 6 hours of moderate usage at work. By Moderate, I mean facebook/twitter checks maybe twice an hour each, maybe 20 texts back & forth, some web browsing on my lunch hour, maybe a youtube video or two.

If I can do heavy use with 6 hours+, my basic usage should easily get me through the workday! dancedroid

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also leave my Wi-Fi almost all the time, but I have no access point at work. I know that'll kill the battery some, but in my experience, it wasn't a substantial enough amount to bother with.