Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
This.

We've seen this a few times so far and it keeps worrying me. My OG always shows the display being #1 for battery use. Maybe it's because this guy doesn't have good 4G LTE in his area, so it keeps looking for 4G LTE and killing his battery.

You are correct he does not live in a 4G area. That is why it tested the way it did.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
So I imagine if you don't live in a strong 4G LTE area, you'll need to turn off 4G to prevent battery issues, which is a bit of a letdown.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
This.

We've seen this a few times so far and it keeps worrying me. My OG always shows the display being #1 for battery use. Maybe it's because this guy doesn't have good 4G LTE in his area, so it keeps looking for 4G LTE and killing his battery.

Which is plausible until you consider he killed his battery in a matter of 6 hours with heavy use, so I don't care how much he was looking for LTE that is straight up unacceptable and even implausible description of 4G battery consumption...because that value is exponentially more than it reasonably should be. Extrapolating that sample the Cell Standby ALONE would kill that phone's battery within 20hrs IN STANDBY.

I won't be buying day one now, promise you that...holy crap.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed. This is the 2nd person with the Bionic who has showed the #1 battery usage being the cell stand-by.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
6 Hours of HEAVY use is unacceptable? Are you nuts? That's incredible!

You don't get those kind of hours on a laptop. My Droid lasts about 30 minutes of heavy use.

Most people will use it moderately and get way more hours. Looks great to me.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
hmm I think everyone is overreacting a bit. We're all drooling over these videos but you can manipulate the results easy. I'm just going to wait until I get one myself and review it. I mean if I really don't like it I'll take it back but I doubt it. We've all heard it gets incredible battery life then we hear it gets terrible battery life out of no where? I'm just going to see for myself and go from there.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Hope the Dev's can hack the sample rate like they did with WiFi search, yeesh.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
6 Hours of HEAVY use is unacceptable? Are you nuts? That's incredible!

You don't get those kind of hours on a laptop. My Droid lasts about 30 minutes of heavy use.

Most people will use it moderately and get way more hours. Looks great to me.

No we agree, but the fact the Cell Standby is consuming more battery than the bloody screen and Android OS combined is absurd.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Originally Posted by Preach2k
I have a question about the Battery Test Video. Do you live in a 4G area or 3G. For the battery to go that like it did in the Video some are saying that it was looking for a 4G single that is why the battery drained like it did. is this true?

Both actually. I was using the phone constantly for six hours. All while connected to wifi. The battery is fine.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
That still doesn't explain why cell standby is taking up most of the battery.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
You said he was using Wifi, why would it be searching for 4G LTE while it was on wifi?

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
No, he said he "lives in both 3 and 4g areas", but was using Wifi the entire time.