Handcent

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by x25064, Feb 21, 2010.

1. x25064

x25064 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone experienced problems with handcent since the last update was rolled out? I am having an issue where all text input lags from moderate to somewhat severely on my phone.

Have tried:
    killing processes
    killing handcent
    reinstalling
    comparing speed to other apps including default messenger
    everything else that you'd reccomend on first read.

I think its just an issue with the app but I want to make sure im not alone. When I say lags, I literally mean the keys take awhile to catch up to me when using either virtual keyboard, or when using the physical, the text can be seen continuing to fill itself out up to 5 seconds after i have finished typing.

Scrolling and everything else seems to work fine in the app, text input is my only issue, but unfortunately is also the biggest issue. I have reverted to using the stock messaging until I can figure out how to fix this. I had a discussion with one of the devs via email that proved to be quite useless.

2. vuskee

vuskee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was using handcent before rooting/overclocking my phone and I did notice quite some lag. After oc'ing my phone to 800mhz handcent runs super smooth. Might be too many processes running in the background thats slowing your phone down?

3. x25064

x25064 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats what I had thoughts but I tried handcent after killing all processes, as I stated. Also if it was processes I think it would reflect in all apps, not just handcent. Everything else, typing wise, flys on my phone.

It could be that the new version of handcent is a memory/processor hog, but thats why I'm trying to get an idea of who else is having this problem. I love the app to death but I liked it better when it worked.

4. joshua117

joshua117 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i haven't had any issues with it (running droidmod 2.0.5) i assume you are using a rom as i am not aware of any other updates. which rom are you using?

5. Chief Wahoo

Chief Wahoo Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am running BB 0.76 and have noticed a significant lag with Handcent recently. . .can't pin it down to the last update, but it has been very apparent to me.

6. kmasum

kmasum Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i am not experiencing any problem..

7. lockman

lockman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Handcent got real buggy for me after last update. We're taking a time-out. Using Chomp at the moment. So far, so good.

8. FormerIphonePreuser

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes Handcent has been giving me problems. I no longer get a pop up notification and my screen doesnt turn on whenever i receive a text. I'm sticking with Chompsms until they fix their problems.

9. Chief Wahoo

Chief Wahoo Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I may have to also put Handcent into timeout :) and go with ChompSMS. The one feature I like about Handcent, and it isn't even a real "messaging" feature is that I can put apply my own background pic in the app.

Can Chomp do this? And yes, I realize that it is not an entirely good reason to stick with an app that has its fair share of bugs, but what can I say.

10. arty2hottie

arty2hottie Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have noticed a lag but thought it might be sype. Hopefully the next update will fix it

11. x25064

x25064 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    ....the app regularly releases updates every month..I'm not using any rom.

Search tags for this page

how to revert handcent update