Handcent vs SMS Popup vs Go SMS

xixgrimmxix

Reaction score
On a keyboard phone chomp don't work rite. If u have the phone closed vertical using quick reply then turn or open the keyboard the message disappears and u have to click reply again to make it work. Very irritating. I have tried all 3. Handsent has my vote and use for a long time to come

lg ally <rooted velocity 0.4>
samsung fascinate <rooted>

tktouch12

Reaction score
i'm trying to decide between handcent and go sms. i really like both of them. i've used handcent on and off for a while, but i've never used go before and it seems pretty nice. i really like how it looks

OP
I

intrepid48

Reaction score
Handcent is my keeper for now... the customisability of my contacts is what i was looking for and it does that in spades(this is a feature that I missed from my BBerry Strorm 9530).. Wish the color LED setting worked though????

Also, I downloaded the emoji plug in by my GF's girlfriend's iPhone won't receive them and my X won't receive hers.

Any idea what is happening here????

rystan11

Reaction score
Handcent is my keeper for now... the customisability of my contacts is what i was looking for and it does that in spades(this is a feature that I missed from my BBerry Strorm 9530).. Wish the color LED setting worked though????

Also, I downloaded the emoji plug in by my GF's girlfriend's iPhone won't receive them and my X won't receive hers.

Any idea what is happening here????

The LED color option is under notification settings. You can change the Flash frequency as well. Have you tried the emoji feature with another droid? It could have something to do with her iphone.

scottzilla

Reaction score
I keep hearing how Handcent can be customized. Can anyone give an example?

rystan11

Reaction score
For instance, my conversation list:
aefe9005-5339-e06d.jpg

And my bubbles:
aefe9005-5372-7f49.jpg

Pretty simple. Go under settings, custom, bubble and conversation list settings. Import your own pics, change font, colors, everything ;)

VivianC

Reaction score
I've been using Handcent for over a year. Tried Chomp back then but liked Handcent better.

Is there any way to change the font size on the Handcent popup window? I could really use it to be bigger when in the car dock. Guess I'm getting old.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I'm glad I found this thread. I have a couple of issues I would like to throw out there, and I'm hoping that I can get some recommendations from you guys.

1. I really like sms popup. I like how it will popup on my lockscreen for me, allowing me to reply or close, etc., without making me unlock my phone. I personally like this over GO SMS notification popup, because with GO SMS, the popup unlocks my screen and will keep it on (I have my screen display timeout to 30 mins for other reasons).

2. I have noticed recently, with the stock sms app, even picture messages come as video (especially if they have a sound attached). They will play as a video message, only giving me a couple seconds to look at it before it auto closes because the "video" is done. That doesn't give me any time to save sounds or pics to my sd card if I want. Any way to fix this?

3. I tried handcent when it first came out a long time back, and it wouldn't allow me to send or receive messages to/from email addresses? Is this fixed or is that still not functional?

These are really my main issues with sms, and I would really appreciate it if someone could offer any remedies or recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Droid using my Droid

rystan11

Reaction score
All of which you mentioned is available with handcent now. However, I'm not to sure about the pop up options. Haven't done much with that only because the beauty about texting vs calling is answering when you want to :)

Epease

Reaction score
Using Handcent. Need help for Emergency Notifications

I use Handcent, and use it to receive emergency dispatch messages. The contact is set to play a specific alert ringtone to be sure it will wake me up. When I "test" it the message repeats about ten times. When I actually get a message, once the message pops-up, the alert stops immediately, and I don't wake up. I need it to play repeatedly......Also, how can you increase volume?? Help Please???

WilfulHippo

Reaction score
I use SMS pop up because it is like a add on for the regular SMS and it does not act like a whole other app like handcent SMS pop up is the best hands down

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

HayWire

Reaction score
Tried handcent, now trying go. Cant find chomp.. lol. I like to try things till I find one I like. I like go alot so far. Seems alot snappier then handcent was.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
could someone please tell me how to stop the popup in handcent from showing message content?? having the popup is cool cus it is very convenient but i just dont want it to show the message content, might get in trouble if she sees that...lol

Stanford

Reaction score
For instance, my conversation list:
aefe9005-5339-e06d.jpg

And my bubbles:
aefe9005-5372-7f49.jpg

Pretty simple. Go under settings, custom, bubble and conversation list settings. Import your own pics, change font, colors, everything ;)

I have only tried GO SMS, and I have the same thing set up on mine. I don't know how to post a screenshot but I have added my own background. Also can change bubble colors, text colors, fonts, & size.