Handcent vs. GoSMS -- which do you prefer?

Reaction score
I've been using Handcent recently which I really like -- much better than Chomp, personally. However, today a friend of mine recommended GoSMS. He says it has all of Handcent's features plus more and is snappier overall. Is this true? Would just like to know if I should test the waters, or stick with what I know. Thanks! dancedroid

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Handcent used to be the best, but many have migrated to gosms which offers alot of themes and the GO team has alot of other great apps in the market.

chrisnelson24

Reaction score
Im using gosms. Yes, lot of themes and addons like go chat and you can also download the go launcher for your homescreen. I used to use handcent til i got a bad update and wouldnt work at all. Had to uninstall

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
C
Reaction score
Has Go SMS been lagging for anyone else lately? It has been super slow. Also, does it consume more battery than the stock messaging app?

chrisnelson24

Reaction score
Mine has not been lagging any. Theres a few settings you can play with and see if it works for you. Open gosms, settings, important tips. You can check the run persistantly box which will make it faster at the cost of battery. Also, settings, application settings, under running mode selecting lite mode will make it a bit faster as well. Hole it helped a bit

tasha21

Reaction score
I like Handcent as my messaging app because I rarely encounter issues with it. Been using for more than a year.

Just started Go Launcher 3 weeks back. Love all the customizations available but it is rather lag. So I don't see myself jumping over to Go SMS anytime soon.

catfisher

Reaction score
Been on Handcent nearly always. GO SMS boasts the ability to theme the app, which it does, but constantly gave me fits. The app kept resetting to default and a message to the developer did not respond after multiple attempts. Screw it, I'm with Handcent.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Also an ex Handcent user converted to GO SMS recently...

Haley

Reaction score
First I used go sms, then I switched to handcent for some reason, but it started having issues and being all retarded so I switched back to go sms and haven't turned back since...Plus I missed all of the themes that go sms has when I had handcent

baldybill

Reaction score
I was trying out the go sms. It worked well for a while. Then it kept closing on me for no reason. Deleted it.

Sent from my OG Droid

music_man185

Reaction score
i've been using handcent for a couple weeks, and i really like it except for the fact that it wont download my mms messages.

i installed go sms pro last night. it downloads mms messages. but i like the fact that handcent shows contact pictures for each message sent in the conversation window. i couldn't find an option for go sms to do this. anyone know how?

Durandgir

Reaction score
I used to be a heavy handcent user, it was the only thing I used for a while but once gingerbread ports came around I stopped using it because of all the messaging quirks that were already happening. I have tried GOsms a few times. it's really laggy in my experience.

Reaction score
I used handcent for such a long time and then one day, I searched the market. I found go sms pro at first and then the go launcher. Downloaded both and still have both. I think go sms pro does a better job with mms and the texting side is about the same as handcent imo. The one problem I had with go sms pro was it getting hung up trying to load my sms background/theme. There were times where it wouldn't load it at all and it would just come up as that baby blue/white stock screen. Kind of annoying, but whatever. But yes, right now go sms pro is what I use.

nubia

Reaction score
I absolutely love handcent however, their customer service really stinks.

Sent from my NASA approved DROID RAZR using DroidForums