Handcent vs. Chomp

huskur

Reaction score
I currently use handcent for my sms/mms but i hear some people use chomp. Are there any benefits that chomp offers that handcent does not? (looking for the differences mostly)

Just curious if anyone has tried both and had opinions on them.

Thanks in advance

meaker

Reaction score
I haven't tried Chomp yet. I had handcent but it was real laggy when typing a text that I uninstalled it.. I'll give chomp a try and see how it does..

msu

Reaction score
I have used both and chomp was ok, but I like handcent better. (Mainly customization)

Sodner

Reaction score
Tried both, and both were laggy. Could be my Launcher2.1 or Swype or both so I'll wait till I get the real 2.1 and retry Handcent. Handcent has so much customization its nuts. Chomp seems to have the ability to send messages other than over your carrier (Verizon) though I have not used that feature.

Seattle1980

Reaction score
I have tried both and they are very similar. I think Handcent is better because it will auto split messages over 160 characters to non-Verizon phones. Not sure if they added this to Chomp since I uninstalled, but this feature is great.

FoFa

Reaction score
I use both Handcent and swype and have no lag issues.
I just wish Handcent used the font I have set for a message entry (or maybe I am doing something wrong).

msu

Reaction score
I use both Handcent and swype and have no lag issues.
I just wish Handcent used the font I have set for a message entry (or maybe I am doing something wrong).

is swype in the market?

bigthinker

Reaction score
I have not used Chomp. Used Handcent and found it laggy so un installed....The default text provider is ok...I do like the look and feel, just not as snappy as I would like. :motdroidhoriz:

Dmoralize

Reaction score
I have handcent and haven't noticed any real lag issues. At least not enough to bother me. I prefer the look and function of the native messaging app, but I need handcent because it breaks up messages longer than 160 characters into multiple texts. The stock messaging app just cuts off long messages when sending to people with different carriers. Annoying.

I'm going to look into this chomp app. Hadn't heard of it.