Handcent update screwed up my contacts

tu3218

Reaction score
I just updated my handcent and it deleted all my contacts?? I synced them back up and when I send a text and go into handcent it just shows the number and not their name. Any help?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No problems with handcent here, ever.

Did you goto the developers site?

M

Matth3w

I've never seen this particular issue with Handcent, but I've seen plenty others. Handcent was so full of bugs I eventually got rid of it. The only messaging app I have ever used with ZERO bugs was ChompSMS. Just keep Chomp in mind if you continue to have issues with Handcent.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I switched to Handcent about a month ago and have not had any problems. All of my contacts made the switch without issue.

Mike

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I've never seen this particular issue with Handcent, but I've seen plenty others. Handcent was so full of bugs I eventually got rid of it. The only messaging app I have ever used with ZERO bugs was ChompSMS. Just keep Chomp in mind if you continue to have issues with Handcent.

And I've had handcent since day one and never a problem...

OP
T

tu3218

Reaction score
yeah I'm not sure why this happened. This was the first problem I have ever had with handcent, its been an amazing alternative to the standard text messaging. Its starting to show the names now so hopefully its good now. Course it still hasn't synced all my facebook contacts but I think it takes awhile because it did that when I first got my droid.

M

Matth3w

You guys are lucky...bugs that I have seen personally or seen other people complain about with Handcent:

- Duplicate messages (not notifications)...I had this issue, and yes the auto retrieve and stuff was unchecked in the stock app
- LED light stays on instead of blinking

And various other things. The thing that made me leave was getting dupes.

big.daddy

Reaction score
you can set the led light flash consistency. mine used to stay on till i set it to flash fast. Hope this helps. I never had any of the other issues.

cisco0910

Reaction score
last update didn't give me the prob as the OP. ...the bugs i do and been having is every 20th or 30thish text i get it'll be a duplicate. About every 150 i'll get a tripple text. Every 600 i'll get a quadruple. And yes, believe it or not i've had a quintuple text before. I just recieve them now. It use to be that the person i send them to will get duplicates when i know i only sent once. Hasn't happened in a while. Oh.., one more bug. All message threads get erased. i went about a month in a half without it happening and it finally happened a few days ago. I talked to a fellow droidinian here and he says it prob cause you had to much threads. I text about 5000/month.

Droidfish

Reaction score
I've got a few duplicates not often though, although I didn't update because I just customized the .apk to my liking and didn't want to redo it, maybe tomorrow.

bigjonmoo73

Reaction score
Anyone having problems with the pictures not loading up, via facebook, next to the names on the Handcent text?

Brokn68

Reaction score
dupe messages and then it started to freeze when opening made me get rid of it. I have had great luck with SMS Popup from the market.

Rollingbones

Reaction score
I just updated my handcent and it deleted all my contacts?? I synced them back up and when I send a text and go into handcent it just shows the number and not their name. Any help?

I have all my contacts listed in my gmail, whether or not I really do have an email addy for them, they're there. This way, Nada gets deleted and I have my contacts available thru muti sources...

No other problems noted.

LordKastle

Reaction score
i heard some rumors of handcent including ads within the application in the most recent update. i have yet to download the update, but anyone hear or experience the same?

warrior21

Reaction score
i heard some rumors of handcent including ads within the application in the most recent update. i have yet to download the update, but anyone hear or experience the same?
I haven't had any issues with the last update and the only ad I see is in the settings menu which is no big deal.