Handcent SMS vs. Chomp SMS

wiscdroid

Reaction score
So I just got handcent and love how I can customize everything, but the standard Messaging is still giving me a notification that I've received a text. How can I avoid receiving text notifications in both programs? Is it safe to delete the standard Messaging that comes with the phone?

uflraptor

Reaction score
I have only ever used Handset but I like everything it does. Love the pop up, text to voice and voice to text. Really like this program.

shawn

ASN-121

Reaction score
So I just got handcent and love how I can customize everything, but the standard Messaging is still giving me a notification that I've received a text. How can I avoid receiving text notifications in both programs? Is it safe to delete the standard Messaging that comes with the phone?

Simply open the standard messaging app, bring up the settings menu, and uncheck the 'Notifications' option near the bottom. I don't believe that you can remove the standard messaging app without rooting your phone. Let me know if you have any issues with this, and I can lend a hand if you need it.

M

Matth3w

Chomp...I found Handcent to be buggy and not cooperate with some of my other apps.

HMJB

Reaction score
This thread is making me want to try Chomp..

I used Handcent for a little bit but it would screw up my MMS pictures + videos (not display them at all) and I would have to go to stock to view them.. so annoying.

That made me just get SMS popup for the stock texting (no more problems with MMS)

I'll post later after I give Chomp a try for a bit.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Chomp...I found Handcent to be buggy and not cooperate with some of my other apps.
what apps did handcent not work with?

yea i noticed a few more FCs with BB so i thought about trying Chomp but never got around to it.

M

Matth3w

I can't remember to be honest. The only reason I even use a third party messaging app is because Chomp has a setting "vibrate only when ringer is set to vibrate"

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea just wondering if it runs smoother than handcent on bb

M

Matth3w

Seems to only have bubbles, but you can change the colors and fonts and all that.

rick31

Reaction score
i tried handcent and i liked it, but when i had my phone in vibrate mode, it wouldnt vibrate, reminders wouldnt work wither. so i switched to chomp and added sms popup and i love it. thats the way to go.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i tried handcent and i liked it, but when i had my phone in vibrate mode, it wouldnt vibrate, reminders wouldnt work wither. so i switched to chomp and added sms popup and i love it. thats the way to go.

you have to go into handcents customization page and i know theres a place to vibrate only when phones on vibrate