Handcent SMS vs. Chomp SMS

raven1911

Reaction score
Hancent because of the customization of everything related to sms messages.

TekHawk

Reaction score
after looking at the chomp sms site they seem to be almost the same app feature wise.. think im going to use chomp for a week and see what i like better

was using handcent because it worked with the sms widget in BW pack 2

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
I've never used Chomp, but Handcent does everything I need it to do and more.

jrocketdroid

Reaction score
I just reinstalled Handcent to give it another try, in the past there were too many errors with it. I used ChompSMS for a few days, but their pop up windown was not as good.

@ TEkHawk : there's an app called SMS Popup that allows for a popup windown while using the stock messaging application. I will revert back to this if Handcent gives me FC errors again.
Check it out:
SMS Popup v1.0.6 Application for Android | Tools

TekHawk

Reaction score
@jrocketdroid Only thing i see with that is that it does give the popup function but lacks the quick reply from the pop up which is really the part of the pop up i love :) thanks for pointing this out though i might try to still Handcent breaks my video messaging and uploading to pc to email the dog doing some stupid sh** just ruins the fun

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tried all of these but in order to spare some system resources, I decided to stick with the stock messaging app.

TekHawk

Reaction score
About to remove chomp sms less resource heavy them handcent but having to click on the text box to reply in the popup is bugging the heck out of me lol

ASN-121

Reaction score
@jrocketdroid Only thing i see with that is that it does give the popup function but lacks the quick reply from the pop up which is really the part of the pop up i love :) thanks for pointing this out though i might try to still Handcent breaks my video messaging and uploading to pc to email the dog doing some stupid sh** just ruins the fun

That's not true. I used SMS Popup for a long time, it gives you the options to Close, Delete, or Reply to a message. Then you can use the mic hands-free option if you like, or simply type your response and send it from there.
I just swapped over to Handcent to give it a try, since I've seen such praise for it all over, but we'll see if I keep it or go back to SMS Popup.

Droidster163

Reaction score
I tried Handcent and like it, but on thing that really bugged me was that in the top status bar the message icon would not go away unless you cleared it, even after having read and replied to a message. I just went back to the regular messagin app.

ASN-121

Reaction score
Interesting, I have yet to run into that. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Maybe you had a certain setting enabled?

MJ5150

Reaction score
I tried Handcent and like it, but on thing that really bugged me was that in the top status bar the message icon would not go away unless you cleared it, even after having read and replied to a message. I just went back to the regular messagin app.

Same with me. Handcent is the only way I know how to send MP3's via text, so I download when I need to send an MP3, then uninstall it.

Pain in the butt, I know, but nothing else works.

-Mike

Droidster163

Reaction score
Interesting, I have yet to run into that. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Maybe you had a certain setting enabled?
I did change try to change some of the notification setting but it didn't work. I uninstalled it, maybe later ill try to download it and see if it's gone away.