Handcent SMS - Goodbye from me

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, the only SMS app that I ever used since I got my OG Droid in 2009 was Handcent. I've always hoped they would come out with a pay version and I would have paid for it. Well, they just had an update and now you get ads all over the place and they are disguised as a text message. They appear every other time you bring up your app to read or send a text message. They want you to subscribe monthly to their service for it to go away. I'm not having anything of that. Read the reviews, people are flocking away from it and going elsewhere.

I installed a Google messenger but you couldn't customize it, so just installed one called Textra, which seems very customizable and I can use a dark theme for it.

Any other disappointed Handcent users out there?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey, if you're on Verizon give Verizon Messages a try. That's what I used until I left them.
As far as Handcent, yeah the ad looking like a text sucks. I'm sticking with it a little longer while I seek another with as good of pop ups and working well with my S watch. Reply in pop up and/or the watch is a must for me.

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey, if you're on Verizon give Verizon Messages a try. That's what I used until I left them.
As far as Handcent, yeah the ad looking like a text sucks. I'm sticking with it a little longer while I seek another with as good of pop ups and working well with my S watch. Reply in pop up and/or the watch is a must for me.
The Textra app is great so far! I know it's just the first day for me, but the fact I can customize it the way I wanted to and so easy to do, means I can stop looking for another messenger app. As for the Verizon Messenger, I guess I wasn't aware they had one.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
The Textra app is great so far! I know it's just the first day for me, but the fact I can customize it the way I wanted to and so easy to do, means I can stop looking for another messenger app. As for the Verizon Messenger, I guess I wasn't aware they had one.
Plus 1 for Verizon messenger. I just started using it last week because you can send sms and mms over wifi. Some of the shops I go into are dead zones so this is going to be very handy for me.

I used to use Textra but forget why I stopped.

Note 4Tified

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
VM is also really nice for conversations on your tablet or computer as well. Just set up the sync, add the app to the tablet, or use your MyVerizon page.

OP
Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok trying out the Verizon one now. I wish there was a "dark theme" with it though.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought there was a dark theme?
I tried Textra and I like it a bunch but it isn't syncing with my watch ,a deal breaker for me until they get that fixed.

silverfang77

Reaction score
I've just noticed that ad texts in Handcent and am sorry to see that they've gone down this path. :-(

Is Verizon Messenger the same thing as Verizon Messages, which is the closest result I get when I search in the Play Store?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've just noticed that ad texts in Handcent and am sorry to see that they've gone down this path. :-(

Is Verizon Messenger the same thing as Verizon Messages, which is the closest result I get when I search in the Play Store?
Yes. If I was on Verizon I'd still be using that app.
I've gone back to Textra. Turns out the bug was in Android Web Server and an update to it fixed Textra bugs and a bunch of other stuff.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

silverfang77

Reaction score
I have Verizon Messenger installed on my phone and tablet and logged into my phone's number, but it only alerts me of texts on my phone.

How do I get it to alert me of texts on my tablet as well?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have Verizon Messenger installed on my phone and tablet and logged into my phone's number, but it only alerts me of texts on my phone.

How do I get it to alert me of texts on my tablet as well?

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.
They should sync as one. There might be a delay of a conversation on your tablet reaching your phone but when I used it it was a couple of minutes at most. I don't remember all the settings for them to cross sync but I think it was just logging into the service on the tablet to get it going.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Funky Rev

Reaction score
I had textra for a while. It's a nice app, but if I recall correctly, after some time, they also give you the ads that look like text messages, but I believe there is a paid option that removes them.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had textra for a while. It's a nice app, but if I recall correctly, after some time, they also give you the ads that look like text messages, but I believe there is a paid option that removes them.
.99 to remove ads.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
+1 for VM, only not I have is no data and you can't text.

We must...We must...increase our boost

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
As you know Scott I went to Yaata and have been very happy ever since. Lots of options to customize and most all the features I want

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk