Handcent SMS and Live wallpapers don't like each other?

J*Bishop

Reaction score
I have changed at least 6 different live wallpapers... three from the market. I am not having any problems.

so what you're saying is that when you receive a txt msg and the pop up msg appears you can see your live wallpaper working in the background?

Yep. But when the pop up appears, the background would be darken. Still, I can see the background still working.

i just checked my wife's droid and she doesn't have the issue i have. bah! i tried uninstalling helix and handcent. i know it's not that big of a deal but it sure is irritating. lol

Now, I am having problem! I had "Magic Smoke" on and I was just texting to my friend. I can't see my own typings. The Live Wallpaper disappeared and now I am back to normal wallpaper. Weird!

damn!

FoxZia

Reaction score
so what you're saying is that when you receive a txt msg and the pop up msg appears you can see your live wallpaper working in the background?

Yep. But when the pop up appears, the background would be darken. Still, I can see the background still working.

i just checked my wife's droid and she doesn't have the issue i have. bah! i tried uninstalling helix and handcent. i know it's not that big of a deal but it sure is irritating. lol

Now, I am having problem! I had "Magic Smoke" on and I was just texting to my friend. I can't see my own typings. The Live Wallpaper disappeared and now I am back to normal wallpaper. Weird!

damn!

I just had Helix installed not long ago and I love Helix! I wonder if there's some kind of conflicting between handcent, Helix, and the Live Wallpaper?

Before I had that problem, I rarely use text because I work a lot and don't want to be bothered during those hours. As soon as I am almost ready to clock out of work and I got out of work (<---make sense?), I replied this forums through my Droid; I noticed some laggys on Browser. ** I wonder if the more you use all three applications running at the same time, they get laggy and then it get worse? Currently, I am using the defaulted Messagings (bleh)... I prefer the Handcent. But soon, I'll go back to Handcent and try again. I'll report back later and let you guys know what's happening.

Edit:
**After I noticed laggys on Browser, the problems occurred about an hour later.

Last edited:

FoxZia

Reaction score
My results for the day

Hi everyone,

As of now, I had my Live Wallpaper switched to regular wallpaper completely. Another problem occurred when I was using an application (NOT Handcent) and the Live Wallpaper disappeared. I can't remember what application I used because many things happened during that time. While I was using that application (again not HANDCENT), the keyboard sorta disappeared and reappeared then I can't see my own typings (the very same problem with Handcent) and the Live Wallpaper disappeared at the same time. :frown:

Right now, I am using the Flickie Wallpaper.... WOW! Very clean and crystal pictures. Way better than Mabilo, the Background (can't remmy the name of Author....but quite a popular download statistic), or any other background applications. I still am using the Helix because I like 7 screens and have an ability to add widgets and picture frames on my Droid. (I need help finding good application that have an ability to have size choices and ONE still picture for Picture Frame on home screens. I found one but that app automatically do the slideshow in that frame. That what I read from reviewers commented. So, I didn't bother to download that app. The defaulted Picture Frame widget is...to big and no type of frames to choose).

I wonder if the real reason why Motorola/Verizon postpone the update because of the Live Wallpaper issues? I am not sure how many people really wanted Live Wallpaper before getting the update. I didn't care at that time because I didn't understand what it was or what the purpose. Now I do understand and LOVE the Live wallpaper. I hope the problem will be fixed. But I am not quite ready to give up the Flickie Wallpaper yet. ;)

*I hope my comment above will help the developers find the problems and solve them. *EDIT I do love the Live Wallpapers

** My spelling for Flickie SHOULD have been Flikie Wallpapers. Sorry.

Last edited:

LilJayV10

Reaction score
handscent seems to be the only app, not that i use that many, that has a problem since the update. When I get a pop up txt it shows my old wallpaper in the background. I didn't know you could turn off the pop up.

Also when I reply to a message it won't show what I am typing, i have to exit back to the menu with all my txt conversation then go back in and it works correctly.

J*Bishop

Reaction score
update: i'm not sure what i did exactly but now when i get a pop up i can see the live wallpaper in the background.

01b5s4

Reaction score
Well I'm checking in here. I've been having the same problem, tired the blur background trick, and so far so good.

edit:
But it does show my old non live wallpaper everything I get a pop up text. Im next move is gonna be to disable the pop ups.

Last edited:
OP
Big Cam

Big Cam

Reaction score
I love the popups so I use a regualr background for the time being. Live wallpapers were like a fad for me, I used them for a week or two, now they are just for fun.

jkruer01

Reaction score
I think this may be a problem with the default live wallpapers that come with android and not handcent.

I had a Motorola Droid with handcent installed from the beginning. When 2.1 was released I upgraded to it and then downloaded and installed "Storm" live wallpaper. I never had any problems at all.

Then my phone crapped out last week and I got a new one sent to me. I downloaded and installed handcent but this time I used the stock "Magic Smoke" wallpaper. I started having problems with my wallpaper getting reset to the default droid wallpaper everytime I got a text message and responded using the quick reply pop-up box.

Last night, I downloaded and installed the free "Storm" wallpaper and I no longer have any problems. I just checked and my "Blur Background" check box is checked. So, unchecking the "Blur Background" check box may or may not work for some people, but I think it is only work around for a problem with the stock live wallpapers.

Can someone else try downloading and installing a live wallpaper other than the stock ones that come with Android? Unfortunately most of them cost money but there are a few that are free. Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks!
Jeremy